As work continues to transform shop premises in Brigg town centre, we offer Then and Now views of a well-known property... with more than 100 years dividing these pictures.
The Brigg Hearing Studio is now taking shape at 57 Wrawby Street, immediately to the right of the brick archway which leads pedestrians through to the Exchange Coach House and its rear courtyard.
However, the archive view top left - thought to date back to circa 1910 - shows a different use. It was then occupied by Green's who did painting, decorating and possibly signwriting, too.
In view of the range of flags on show and the clothes being worn, we suggest this picture might have been taken on Empire Day, held in late May from 1902, although not made 'official' until after 1916.
The third picture above shows the same view 40 years ago, in 1981.
From the early 1950s until 1985, No 57 housed the Brigg office of the Lincolnshire Times weekly newspaper (latterly called the Lincolnshire & South Humberside Times) which relocated from the Market Place when its previous base was demolished to widen the entrance to Cary Lane for vehicles using the busy A18 which still ran through the centre of the town in those days.
After the paper's sad closure, No 57 soon changed hands and its upper floors were converted into flats. The newsroom and advertising office had been on the second floor, with the Times only using the top floor for storage.
The ground floor (formerly housing the newspaper's reception area) went on to provided various retail services. It hosted - at various times - haberdashery, computer repairs/accessories and shoe sales businesses.
Having been vacant for some months, it's good to see this prominent retail unit being prepared for a new purpose. Much time and effort is being extended on the project.