Wednesday, January 12, 2022

UNIQUE CHRISTMAS CARD FEATURING FLYING SCOTSMAN IN BRIGG


Brigg man Adrian Broome read one of our recent railway posts and was reminded of a picture he took when the world famous Flying Scotsman locomotive came to Brigg towards the end of the 1960s.
"I had walked (yes, walked!) out to Barnetby in the morning to see it, only to watch her steam across the road bridge whilst I was still half way down Kings Road!" Adrian says.
"I remember hearing the familiar whistle and was alert enough to take a snap showing the train crossing the bridge, but it was barely recognisable in the distant view. I can’t remember when I last saw that photo - must have ’tidied it away’!
"Dai Morgan saw me trudging back up the hill and picked me up in his car so I didn’t have to walk all the way back.
"But later in the day I went to Brigg station and took the pic above.
A few years on, I gave it to John Slack, who taught me Geography (and a few other things!) at BGS (Brigg Grammar School).
He was keen on anything to do with railways, even setting up an exhibition in the old schoolroom on Grammar School Road on the occasion of the Tercentenary in 1969. You might remember that.
"Well, a few years later he sent the picture back in the form of a Christmas card. He had written 1969 inside as being the date of the photo, but he may well have been mistaken."
Adrian's second picture seen above was taken in 1960. He was boarding a train with his sister and Robert Smart (on the right) at the start of a Glebe Road School trip to York."