Tuesday, September 29, 2015

HELP US LOCATE STATUE SOLD IN BRIGG DURING 1980s


FROM SIMON CHURCH, IN AUSTRALIA

This is a stab in the dark ..... but does anyone recognise this black statue?
It was previously owned by my late father (Alfred), however it was sold at a DDM (Brigg) auction in the early 1980s.
I would be very interested in its whereabouts with a view to purchasing it back, if available.
I don’t believe it is extremely valuable but it does hold great sentimental value and is part of our family history, having been passed down over the years.
I recall it always sitting in our hallway at Victoria Road, Barnetby, when I was a young child.
I recently came across the attached photograph while sorting out my late parents' photos.
I'd welcome any reply or news on the statue, which, I believe is of the God of Agriculture.
The statue stands around two feet (600mm). Please email simon@churchosborne.com.au
















2 comments:

Ken Harrison said...

The picture doesn't do the statue justice; the camera flash has added shadows to it limbs and gives the false impression that the statue is rather robust/heavy.
For interest - a number of Romeo-Greek statues display tree-stumps. It would be interesting to know what the stump represents
Perhaps Brown's archives would show who bought the statue.

CHOZ said...

Thank you Ken
I recall my father saying that at one stage the figure was holding cymbals or similar. I believe his right foot is also standing on a piano accordion.
Which probably means it is probably music related rather than 'agriculture' as I first thought.
No idea on the stump unless he is an arborist!

As a young boy, although the statue was pretty small in height (2ft), it seemed quite heavy!
Can you tell me what 'Browns archives' is please?

Many Thanks
Simon