Tuesday, December 31, 2019

BRIGG BLOG'S REVIEW OF THE YEAR 2019 - PART TWO


Brigg Blog today continues its review of the year 2019 with a look back on some of the memorable events, achievements and happenings in the town between August and the end of December.
We've added links in bold to our initial posts - click on them to view further details.
Brigg Horse Fair - held on the traditional date, August 5 -  proved a draw for spectators from a wide area and also members of the gypsy/traveller community from across the north and midlands.
In September, Brigg installed eight new Freemen of the town - three being women. Prior to the ceremony, only one person since 1974 had been honoured in this way for services to the town.
New CCTV cameras were installed during October in an effort to deal with a notable crime 'hot spot'.
 

Proprietor Paul Keane at La Finca prior to the opening night.


The town's first Spanish-themed restaurant, La Finca held initial sell-out tapas evenings.
October also saw Brigg Town Football Club attract a bumper 505-strong crowd - three times the usual attendance - when hosting North Ferriby at the EC Surfacing Stadium (Hawthorns). One of the Brigg players was injured and taken to hospital, but thankfully he was back playing again within a few weeks.
October also saw the launch of a new arts and culture centre for the town.
Sir John Nelthorpe School marked the 350th anniversary of education in the town - Sir John Nelthorpe's will in 1669 providing for a school to be built, later to be known as Brigg Grammar, with the original schoolroom still in use by today's SJN comprehensive.
There was a really big turn-out by the public, and local organisations, for November's Remembrance Sunday wreath-laying - 100 years after the Monument war memorial had been erected and dedicated in memory of The Fallen.
Sir John Nelthorpe School re-introduced its cross-country run along Brickyard Lane, Wrawby, with 500 pupils taking part in aid of charity.
November ended with 2,000 people supporting the Christmas lights switch-on ceremony, Lions' festive fayre/market and late night shopping.
 
Holly Mumby-Croft. Picture courtesy of North Lincolnshire Council.

 The General Election on December 12 saw Andrew Percy returned as MP for Brigg & Goole, while fellow Conservative Holly Mumby-Croft was elected for the first time to represent the Scunthorpe Parliamentary Constituency, which includes a number of communities near Brigg including Scawby and Broughton. Sir Edward Leigh (also Conservative) was re-elected for Gainsborough, also covering villages like Bigby, Grasby and North & South Kelsey.
Praiseworthy Christmas spirit was evident on December 28 when a community meal was organised in the Angel Suite by volunteers for people who would otherwise have been on their own over the festive period. This was helped by a grant from the Town Council.
 


As the year drew to a close, popular Brigg Vicar, Father Owain Mitchell, pictured, conducted his final service before leaving to take up a new post in Derbyshire.
Many annual events were enjoyed during the year, including the Poppy 10K race,
the Keyo Brigg Bomber World Quadrathlon, the Lions' Beer Festival,  the Ancholme Head rowing race, the Blessing of the Pumps, and the Halloween Ghost Walk. 

They were joined in August by a newcomer - the Paint Brigg Pink Fun Run to benefit Soldiers Off The Street.
North Lincolnshire Council's monthly Brigg Farmers' Market continued to prove popular, bringing many shoppers into the town centre. But the weekly Thursday general market, and particularly the one held on Saturdays, could do with more stalls.
Brigg Live Arts provided a variety of events, while Saturday night music gigs were provided most weeks by Brigg & District Servicemen's Club and the Woolpack, with other licensed premises offering them from time to time.
The Dying Gladiator's Stables Bar continued its Yappy Hours, with dog owners taking their pets along to meet others.
Brigg Town Business Partnership has promoted the town and various events throughout year, as have our friends at Brigg Matters magazine.
Brigg Heritage Centre staged many interesting exhibitions during 2019, including one marking the centenary of the July 19, 1919 Brigg Peace Celebrations Victory Luncheon hosted for heroes from the town who had survived the First World War.
Brigg Town Council has approved grants throughout the year to many deserving applicants, including Brigg in Bloom which goes from strength to strength - providing a welcome touch of colour to various streets.

North Lincolnshire Council has also been supportive in many ways, with new LED street lamps provided on many streets towards the end of the year. The Brigg & Wolds Ward representatives - Coun Rob Waltham, Coun Carl Sherwood and Coun Nigel Sherwood - are also members of Brigg Town Council.
Brigg Blog would like to end 2019 by thanking ALL the people who have viewed our site - at home and abroad - and those who have contributed news items, information of note and images; too many to mention individually but we will extend special thanks to Ken Harrison, of Brigg Matters magazine, who tops the list in terms of picture content.

PICTURED ABOVE: A view of Brigg by Neil Stapleton, showing the Lidl store on Atherton Way and the Old River Ancholme.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...


Am so excited that my ex husband is back into my life after we had a serious argument which led to him leaving me, my life was a mess without him because he was my source of happiness i tried calling him but he didn't answer my call but everything came to an end after i contacted this genuine and powerful spell caster called DR Padman who cast a love spell on my ex husband to make him realize how much he loves me and that we are meant to be together forever, since then we have never had a quarrel again and our love for each other has continue to grow each day. contact him now for urgent love spell at padmanlovespell@yahoo.com or padmanlovespell@yahoo.com or add him up on WhatsApp +19492293867 web site https://padmanspell.com

robetharmonton said...

I was diagnosed of herpes virus, I have tried all possible means to get cure but all my effort proved abortive, until a friend of mine introduced me to a herbal doctor called Dr Agaba, who prepare herbal medicine to cure all kind of diseases including herpes virus (Herpes), when i contacted this herbal doctor via email, he sent me herpes virus herbal medicine via courier service, when i received the herbal medicine he gave me step by step instructions on how to apply it, when i applied it as instructed i was totally cured from the virus within 3 weeks of usage. Contact this great herbal doctor today to get your cure. 
Via Email: Dragabasolutionhome@gmail.com or WhatApp: +2349074536486

Unknown said...

Happiness is all i see now I never thought that I will be cured from HERPES virus again. I have been suffering from a deadly disease (HERPES) for the past 3 years now, I had spent a lot of msearching through the internet, I saw a testimony on how DR agaba helped someone in curing his HERPES disease, quickly I copied his email which is Dragabasolutionhome@gmail.com just to give him a test I spoke to him, he asked me to do some certain things which I did, he told me that he is going to provide the herbal cure to me, which he did, then he asked me to go for medical checkup after some days after using the herbal cure, behold I was free from the deadly disease, he only asked me to post the testimony through the whole world, faithfully am doing it now, please brothers and sisters, he is great, I owe him in return. if you are having a similar problem just email him on : Dragabasolutionhome@gmail.com oney going from one places to another, from churches to churches, hospitals have been my home every day residence. Constant checks up have been my hobby not until this faithful day, I was or WhatApp: +2349074536486

Unknown said...

Happiness is all i see now I never thought that I will be cured from HERPES virus again. I have been suffering from a deadly disease (HERPES) for the past 3 years now, I had spent a lot of money going from one places to another, from churches to churches, hospitals have been my home every day residence. Constant checks up have been my hobby not until this faithful day, I was searching through the internet, I saw a testimony on how DR agaba helped someone in curing his HERPES disease, quickly I copied his email which is Dragabasolutionhome@gmail.com just to give him a test I spoke to him, he asked me to do some certain things which I did, he told me that he is going to provide the herbal cure to me, which he did, then he asked me to go for medical checkup after some days after using the herbal cure, behold I was free from the deadly disease, he only asked me to post the testimony through the whole world, faithfully am doing it now, please brothers and sisters, he is great, I owe him in return. if you are having a similar problem just email him on : Dragabasolutionhome@gmail.com or WhatApp: +2349074536486