Wednesday, June 12, 2019

STYLISH BRIGG CELEBRATIONS FOR 200TH ANNIVERSARY OF OUR ICONIC BUTTERCROSS


The iconic Brigg Buttercross entering its 200th year in January 2019

A Celebration Evening is to be held to celebrate the 200th anniversary of the iconic Buttercross in Brigg Market Place.
On June 28, 1819 a ball was held to mark the opening of  what immediately became a town centre landmark.
Exactly 200 years later, on Friday, June 28, 2019, Brigg Heritage Centre will be hosting a fitting event (meet 7pm for 7.30pm).
This will involve a drink on arrival two-course supper, licensed bar and songs from Folklinks and students of Sir John Nelthorpe School, Brigg.
Tickets cost £20 and are strictly limited. They are now on sale from the Heritage Centre, in the Angel building, or from the Tourist Information Centre on the ground floor of the Buttercross.
For further details, or to reserve a place, email briggheritage.centre@northlincs.gov.uk
Financial support to build the Buttercross came from the land and property-owning Nelthorpe and Elwes families.
It was originally open at the sides, at ground level, with produce being sold to local people.
The building also took on a key local government role, being used by Brigg Urban District Council for many decades until 1969/70 when a new building was constructed on Cary Lane.
The Buttercross was refurbished  late last year, in readiness for the anniversary, particular attention being paid to the clocktower, weather vane and the plaque unveiled by Princess Diana when she visited the building in 1988.

The pictures seen here were taken in January after completion of the refurb and as the building entered its 200th year.
 



1 comment:

vivian hulett said...

I will forever be indebted to the great Dr Ojogun for fixing my broken marriage after my husband left me for his mistress for 6 months. I never believed in spells until my friend introduced me to him. At first, I was skeptical about him because I heard a lots about false spell casters but I put my doubts behind me for i was desperate to get my husband back and I did according to what he instructed me to do. Now my husband is back just within 48 hours of contacting him. I'm living happily with my husband again after 6 months of divorce and I will not rest till he's known all over the world. He's also specialize in money spells, lottery spells, sickness spells E.T.C. Get connected with Doctor Tebe now, his email is ojogun.48hoursspelltemple@gmail.com or WhatsApp on +2348154637647