Monday, June 03, 2019

D-DAY COMMEMORATIONS IN BRIGG WITH FREE SPAM SANDWICHES & 1940s MUSIC


Brigg will soon be marking the 75th anniversary of the D-Day landings in northern France during June 1944 - vital to the Allies finally defeating Germany in the Second World War the following year.
A D-Day Afternoon will take place at the Britannia Inn, Wrawby Street, on Thursday, June 6, 2019, starting from noon and continuing well into the afternoon.
Typical war-time fare will be on the menu, together with 1940s music.
Among delicacies on offer will be corned beef hash and Spam meat sandwiches, apple crumble and custard - though the latter won't be made with powdered egg!
"All welcome," say the organisers. So make a note of the date and pop along. There's no need to book in advance.
We gather the food will be free and off-ration, as they used to say during the war.

Landlord Shane Garrett has some printed flyers behind the bar if you want to collect a printed reminder about this event, which is expected to draw a sizeable crowd.
Brigg Blog has suggested that Branston Pickle goes well with Spam sandwiches!For the benefit of Brigg Blog's younger viewers, Spam was a staple of the British diet during Second World War rationing.
Pork meat was cooked and put into cans by a company in the USA.
Many people developed a taste for it so Spam remained in the shops after hostilities drew to a close and rationing was removed, being made in the UK - under a licensing agreement.
Indeed, Spam is still on the market today and can be enjoyed hot or cold.
Servicemen from Brigg and district took part in the D-Day operations, which saw troops and vehicles continuing to land in France for some time after June 6.
Fuel was carried across the Channel by PLUTO - Pipeline Under The Ocean - in which a construction company based on Brigg Road, Scunthorpe, played a key role.
It was a top secret innovation, and Prime Minister Winston Churchill came to Brigg, staying at the Exchange, while making a visit to the PLUTO-maker.

Curiosities, on Wrawby Street, Brigg, is offering D-Day afternoon tea for £6. Spam and Bully Beef sandwiches are among a wide selection of goodies on the menu. 

2 comments:

Veronica said...

How I Got My Ex Husband Back...........

I am Veronica by name. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my husband after three(3) years of marriage just because another woman had a spell on him and he left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address drokpodu911@yahoo.com , have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me that a woman had a spell on my husband and he told me that he will help me and after 2 weeks that i will have my husband back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my husband. Thanks for Dr.Okpodu. His email: drokpodu911@yahoo.com OR.His WhatsApp Number:+2348110166784

vivian hulett said...

I will forever be indebted to the great Dr Ojogun for fixing my broken marriage after my husband left me for his mistress for 6 months. I never believed in spells until my friend introduced me to him. At first, I was skeptical about him because I heard a lots about false spell casters but I put my doubts behind me for i was desperate to get my husband back and I did according to what he instructed me to do. Now my husband is back just within 48 hours of contacting him. I'm living happily with my husband again after 6 months of divorce and I will not rest till he's known all over the world. He's also specialize in money spells, lottery spells, sickness spells E.T.C. Get connected with Doctor Tebe now, his email is ojogun.48hoursspelltemple@gmail.com or WhatsApp on +2348154637647