Tuesday, April 14, 2020

BRIGG FOLK LIVED THROUGH 'THE BLITZ'


Some Brigg people today will remember living through 'The Blitz' in 1973/4, although no enemy bombs fell on the town.
Brigg Urban District Council embarked on a radical modernisation programme to refurbish its older council houses, including installing central heating, inside toilets, bathrooms and new windows (not double-glazed).
Some tenants re-located to a limited number of caravans parked specially nearby while the project proceeded, but the majority stayed put.
Contractors arrived early in the morning and families were expected to vacate their homes until tea-time when the workers left and the water was switched on again so toilets could be used overnight. Dust and grime were everywhere.
Some of us were trying to revise for important exams while this was going on, day after day.
In that era where was no point in grumbling to the teachers or headmaster and little or no chance the exam boards would have taken such factors into account even if they knew the circumstances.
One angry and outspoken tenant who lived through all this visited a Brigg pub one evening and protested in earshot of a local newspaper reporter (not us), resulting in a hard-hitting front page story in the next edition.
However, it was explained that the UDC had planned much more extensive refurbishment, only for the government to question the high cost the authority was intending to expend on each property. Presumably central government grants were involved.
So a less elaborate scheme had to be substituted, which might well have contributed to the living hell that families had to endure.
It was particularly difficult for shift workers - and there were many of them in Brigg at that time. How could they be expected to sleep  during the day with all this going on?
After completion of the improvements, tenants liked and appreciated what the council had done.
Central heating was a particularly welcome addition, but no timers were installed.
So instead of someone getting up early to make and light the coal fire(s), the first person downstairs had to flick the switch to start the back boiler and provide heat and water for the day.
Brigg council house properties requiring the most attention and investment had been built in the 1920s.
Those on the Springbank estate (post-Second World War) had more 'mod cons' when they were constructed.
It's all long behind us now but those grim times spent living on what amounted to a building site still remain fresh in the memory of some Brigg residents today.
Our picture, taken in the late 1960s, shows the back yard of our family's council house on Central Square, with the outside toilet on the left and the door to the coalhouse on the right.
Brigg UDC installed a bathroom with toilet in 1974 by shaving off part of the largest upstairs bedroom. The outside toilet was retained and given modern plastic fittings and pipework.
There was more misery for Brigg council house tenants in the early 1970s when successive UK industrial disputes resulted in extensive power cuts.
Just prior to the council house refurb and while our family's only toilet was still across the yard, it was nicknamed The Candle Khasi because it would have been pitch dark in the evenings but for makeshift illuminations installed beside 'the throne'.
There was no danger of those who grew up in Brigg council houses back then being dubbed The Snowflake Generation, although some flakes were encountered on trips to and from the outside 'bog' across the yard during the winter!

6 comments:

jacob mason said...

FINALLY FREE FROM HERPES VIRUSI thought my life had nothing to offer anymore because life became meaningless to me because I had herpes virus, the symptoms became very severe and bold and made my family run from and abandoned me so they won't get infected. I gave up everything, my hope, dreams,vision and job because the doctor told me there's no cure. I consumed so many drugs but they never cured me but hid the symptoms inside me making it worse. I was doing some research online someday when I came across testimonies of some people of how DR ADIGBA cured them from herpes, I never believed at first and thought it was a joke but later decided to contact him on the details provided and when I messaged him we talked and he sent me his herbal medicine and told me to go for a test after two weeks. Within 7 days of medication the symptoms disappeared and when I went for a test Lo and behold I was NEGATIVE by the Doctor Who tested me earlier. Thank you DR ADIGBA because I forever owe you my life and I'll keep on telling the world about you. If you are going through same situation worry no more and contact DR ADIGBA via dradigba@gmail. com or WhatsApp him via +2348077875210. he is good too to cure all type of disease and virus. 1 HIV cure 2 cancer 3 diabetes 4 hepatitis 5 herpes. You can contact if you are having any problem... 

mary robert said...

I have been suffering from Herpes for the past 3 years and 8 months, and ever since then i have been taking series of treatment but there was no improvement until i came across testimonies of Dr Ogedegbe on how he has been curing different people from different diseases all over the world, then i contacted him as well. After our conversation he sent me the medicine which i took according to his instructions. When i was done taking the herbal medicine i went for a medical checkup and to my greatest surprise i was cured from Herpes. My heart is so filled with joy. If you are suffering from Herpes or any other disease you can contact Dr Ogedegbe today on this Email address: dr.ogedegbe6@gmail.com or WhatsApp him on this Number +2348109374702  .... he also has the cure for the following..............
HPV......ALS....COPD......HIV/AIDS.....HEPATITIS A,B,C.........

Adamu Sandra said...

I never believed in life that I will be cured from herpes virus on till I found this great herbalist doctor called Dr Lucky with his herbs. my doctors said Herpes virus do not have medical cure because the virus is capable of hiding within the human cells, it remains protected from your immune system. Herpes isn’t a special virus – your immune system has the tools to fight it back. Cure your Herpes virus with affordable price. My doctor said there is no cure until i meet Dr Lucky This same doctor also cured my Aunty from hiv, as soon as i heard she had hepatitis, i quickly refer her to DR Lucky and she was cured too after drinking his herbs. I have referred more than 6 person to DR Lucky and they were all cured from their various illness. If you have this herpes virus I don’t think there is any need wasting money and time on medical treatment quickly contact this herbal doctor via email him; drluckyherbalcure@gmail.com Or whatsapp number; 2348154637647

Crystal Bennett said...

i was cured of HERPES VIRUS by a great herbal doctor called DR Lucky with the use of different combination of Africa herbs. it is still like a dream to me. There is no word suitable enough to qualify your significant in my life dear doctor. you too can contact him for any kind of cure on his Email 📧 (drluckyherbalcure@gmail.com) or Whatsapp (+2348154637647   

Mary joe said...

Thanks to Dr Oduman he cure me of Herpes virus few weeks back.Dr Oduman treat and cure so many disease and virus with his herbal medicine.like kidney, HIV,hepatitis b ,cancer, fibroid.diabetic herpes infection.aids .enlargement prostate.low sperm count ,pregnant problem. all can of disease and virus e.t c..email. Dr Oduman via.(doctorodman836@gmail.com)contract him now on WhatsApp +2347041258702

Christopher Kim said...

I am very happy to testify about my experience with Dr Agbomian herbal cure which helped to cure my HPV. I have been suffering with HPV for 4 years and i have been searching for cure not until i came across a testimony about Dr Agbomian herbal cure for herpes virus and i decided to contact him, i got a herbal medicine from him which cured me totally. email him on Dragbomianherbalcured77@gmail.com