Sunday, February 10, 2019


Football action from the game between Limestone Rangers (red shirts) and Barnetby United at Willoughton - Saturday, February 9, 2019

Hopes of two teams from Brigg and district booking places in the final of an EC Surfacing Ltd Scunthorpe & District Football League cup final were dashed yesterday (Saturday, February 9) when one of them lost out at the semi-final stage.
Briggensians went down 2-0 at AFC Queensway in the Johnstone Insurance Nursing Cup, but Barnetby United Reserves made it through with a 4-0 home win over Scotter United Reserves.
In division one, Barnetby United's first teamers lost 2-1 at Limestone Rangers.
Reports of both the Barnetby games played yesterday appear below, courtesy of Lee Fielden who has also supplied these action pictures.

Goal drought ends but win-less run continues

Will Watson notched Barnetby’s first goal in five attempts at Willoughton but the end result was an all too familiar story as Limestone ran out 2-1 winners in a hard-fought game.
Watson, returning from injury and playing centre half, volleyed home a 5th minute corner through a crowded area to give the Railwaymen the lead.
Barnetby had the better of the opening exchanges but couldn’t add to their lead.
The inevitable happened and a low-slung free kick into the Barnetby box evaded everyone and was hit home at the far post by Harry Fieldson
Limestone then piled the pressure on but Barnetby held out until half time.
Limestone carried on in the 2nd half how they finished the 1st half  but superb keeping from Dobbs and body on the line defending from Stothard and Green kept the Railwaymen in the game.
Chances up front were limited as Hartley and Glentworth couldn’t create a clear cut opportunity and Scott, Hall, Cottam and Bradley worked tirelessly in midfield. Goal assister Brackenbury was replaced by Lloyd on the hour mark.
The game was decided 15 minutes from time when Graham Burman fired in an unstoppable shot to put Limestone 2-1 up.
It was tough to take for Barnetby who continued to battle and forced three late corners in injury time only to finish the game empty handed.

Reserves reach their 3rd Cup Final

A 4-0 victory at Silver Street saw Marcus Davies’s Barnetby United Reserves side reach their third final of the season as they defeated Scotter United Reserves.
1st half goals from Kyle Sylvester and Dawid Kotwica were matched by 2nd half strikes from Ben Clark and Sylvester with his second as they ran out convincing winners.
Manager Marcus Davies now has the distinction of not only playing in a side that reached 3 finals in a season as Barnetby United did in 2011-12 but also managing a side that has achieved the same feat.

No comments: