Wednesday, September 27, 2017

LOOK WHAT'S LANDED ON BRIGG BLOG'S MAT...


FROM HARRY LAMB
Although based in Grimsby, I used to work regularly in Brigg for a large telecoms company.
Now retired I must make an effort to visit the town on the Saturdays-only train (diabolical service!) with some friends for a few pints and a meal.
However, attached is a scan of a beer mat I found whilst rummaging.
I must have picked it up when supping in "Kingy's" - a pub in Corporation Road, Grimsby.
This pub used to sell Sergeant's bitter before it closed down many years ago but I believe it had been brewed by Hewitts for some time by then.
That didn't really matter as it was a damned site better than Hewitt's own efforts!
Pity about the train service, though, as I know a lot of people local to me would like to visit on a more regular basis for a pint and a pie without the inconvenience of driving!  


N.F. ADDS: Back in 2010 we reported how a Lincolnshire brewery had striven to reproduce a batch of Sergeant's bitter. They had some on sale in Brigg's Black Bull. Read the story through this link...

Our correspondent is correct about Sergeant's (with apostrophe) being taken over by Hewitts (no punctuation mark) as this picture shows. This was the last batch to leave the noted Brigg brewery circa 1967.

No comments: