Sunday, March 08, 2020



Brigg Town Football Club moved up a place in the table with a very welcome home win yesterday (Saturday, March 7) while Barnetby United secured a cup final place.
Town defeated Retford  FC 2-1 at the EC Surfacing Stadium (Hawthorns) in ToolStation Northern Counties East Division One.
The visitors took a very early lead, but two goals in as many minutes from Jake Reed and Ryan Thompson put the Zebras ahead by half-time.
This game drew a crowd of 144, including some supporting Retford.
Having gained those three points, Brigg are now 16th - with four teams below them.
They have a midweek game coming up - visiting Ollerton Town on Tuesday night (March 10), the Nottinghamshire team being just a point above Brigg.
Brigg Town Reserves lost 2-1 at Louth Town yesterday in the Balcan Lighting Supplies Lincolnshire League Premier.
In the EC Surfacing Scunthorpe & District League, Barnetby United won 3-0 at College Wanderers in a Challenge Cup semi-final. See action pictures here and report below from Lee Fielden.
In Division Two, Briggensians suffered a 2-0 defeat against bottom side Santon at Brigg Recreation Ground, while second-placed Barnetby United Reserves were 2-1 home winners against Epworth Town Colts Development - the goals coming from Kyle Sylvester and Liam Dawson.


A Cameron Hill brace and a Brendan O’Callaghan strike saw Barnetby through to their second Challenge Cup final as they ran out 3-0 winners away to College Wanderers at the Co-op Ground (Scunthorpe).
The result wasn’t on the cards though as College dominated the opening half hour as they attacked down the slope with the wind at their backs.
Although not having a chance on target Dobbs, in the Barnetby goal, was busy as the back four of Bradley, Merrick, Scott and Lloyd battled away.
On 31 minutes Barnetby broke away and a sweet left-footed cross from O’Callaghan found Hill at the back post who notched his 10th of the season to give his side the lead against the run of play.
A minute later it was 2-0 as College’s keeper misplaced a clearance when outside his area which found Hill who hit an instinctive first-time effort with his left foot from 40 yards which defied gradient and head wind to nestle in the bottom right-hand corner.
They held firm to half-time as College hit back and went in 2-0 up.
The second half saw College pushing hard striving to get back into the game but Barnetby held firm. Gunn and Popple, in midfield, came more into the game and Green and Hartley put in outstanding shifts in the wide midfield positions.
After Hill and O’Callaghan had both gone close to giving Barnetby a 3-0 lead, a huge Merrick clearance sent O’Callaghan clear down the inside left channel; he reached the edge of the area, looked up and thundered the ball into the far bottom corner to seal the game and his side's place in the final.
Barnetby United (black and white strip) in action at the Co-op Ground, off Brumby Wood Lane, Scunthorpe, in yesterday's semi-final. Pictures from LEE FIELDEN.

No comments: