Monday, April 20, 2020
BRIGG BLOG’S COMPLETE TIMELINE 1066-2019 WITH DOZENS MORE ENTRIES ADDED – POSTED APRIL 2020
Scores of entries appear below in our updated Brigg Timeline 1066-2019 - listing notable events of the past, year by year, from our district over the centuries.
This is the COMPLETE list (so far) but we are asking people to email firstname.lastname@example.org with other entries they feel should be included.
We’ll add them in and then post an updated list towards the end of this year.
Please note that our growing database covers the Brigg area, not just the market town. We are keen to include entries from as far east as Kirmington and Melton Ross and as far south as Hibaldstow, Redbourne and Howsham.
With assistance from Neil Simpson, we have been able to include more dates from Broughton. We’ve already included some entries from what’s now West Lindsey (eg Kelsey and Somerby) but more will be welcome.
We believe Brigg Blog’s Timeline is the first extensive database to be attempted for this area.
It’s very time-intensive but is proving worthwhile as an historic record which may prove useful to people in the years ahead.
Google’s search engine is picking up all Timeline posts so the information is now in the public domain, which is one of the aims of the project.
Our sincere thanks go to all contributors who have taken the time and trouble to provide entries.
1066: Anglo-Saxon England was invaded by the Normans. The Lindsey part of well-populated Lincolnshire, including the Brigg area, was already established by the time the French landed on the country's south coast. Taxes were imposed by the Normans, under King William I, and land awarded to French noblemen. Lincolnshire had thousands of free peasants or sokemen.
1086: Local settlements were mentioned in the Domesday Book, drawn up on the orders of William the Conqueror to show the value of his new lands. They included Castlethorpe, Wrawby, Cadney, Barnetby, Elsham, Scawby, Broughton, Kettleby, Bigby, Grasby, Searby, North & South Kelsey, Hibaldstow, Kirmington, Redbourne, Croxton, Worlaby and Melton Ross. The author of the Domesday Book made reference to Brigg as Glandham and Glantham, Edward Dodd suggested in his book Brigg (published in 1974). The River Ancholme could then be forded by people on foot, with or without animals. Ted suggested the Ancholme valley was then a morass, narrowing to the one point where a crossing could be effected with safety “and leading to the one piece of high ground - the site of the present Market Place.”
1166: An Augustinian Priory was established in Elsham.
1171: Newstead-on-Ancholme Priory at Cadney was founded.
1183: Brigg was “established as a town” but known as Glanford or Glamford (various other spellings being employed back then).
1203: Written reference to “punt de Glanford” - suggesting the existence of a bridge.
1205: Hugh de Neville - Sheriff, Chief Forester and a crusader - was granted a royal charter to hold a market and fair in Brigg
1236: The word ‘Brigg’ had been added to Glanford, suggesting the creation of the first bridge. Ernisius Neveille, Hugh's son, acquired the market and fair rights.
1287: The River Ancholme was being used by commercial barges.
1313: It was reported to King Edward I that “men and cattle passing over Glaunford Brigg in the time of such flouds were seldom out of danger.”
1330 (circa): The Hospital of St John opened in/near Brigg to help the old and poor.
1334: A national taxation survey valued Brigg and Wrawby together.
1349: The Black Death plague hit Lindsey, killing hundreds of inhabitants.
1400: Earliest estimated date for the opening of the Angel Hotel, originally a coaching house. An advertisement for the Angel in the early 1970s proclaimed: “Visitors have been welcome at this hostelry since 1400 and it is our hope that they will enjoy our surroundings for many more years to come.”
1500: Brigg consisted of about 30 properties clustered around the Market Place.
1538: Newstead Priory, Cadney, was dissolved.
1541/42: King Henry VIII stayed at Kettleby Manor, being entertained by the owner Robert Trywhitt, High Sheriff of Lincolnshire.
1555: Local parishes became responsible for the upkeep of any roads in their areas.
1577: A grammar school was established in Kirton Lindsey.
1600: The founder of E.H. Smith's Ironmongers, came to Brigg from Whitby to visit friends; he never went back and the business went on to trade in the Market Place for over 350 years, closing in 1969 (Information kindly supplied by Josie Webb).
1601: Richard Nelthorpe moved to Brigg, having married Ursula Graynyer, from Bigby, at Wrawby Church. Every parish was required, by law, to level a rate to 'keep' its local poor.
1603: Work began on building Scawby Hall.
1604: Catholic Mass said in Brigg by Henry Garnet in what is now the Lloyds Bank building on Wrawby Street. Henry was executed two years later for his links with Guy Fawkes’ whose Gunpowder Plot in 1605 aimed to blow up Parliament.
1607: A writer called Camdenir noted that the Ancholme was crossed by a bridge at Glanford, a small market town that inhabitants called Brigg (from the bridge). He described the river as a muddy little stream abounding in eels.
1635: The new 'cut' of the River Ancholme was created over four years, greatly improving drainage and navigation. Sir John Monson oversaw drainage of 18,000 acres within the valley.
1643: Brigg was a fortified garrison “in the hands of Cromwell’s Parliament” during the Civil War.
1654: Famous diarist and author John Evelyn - a friend of Sir John Nelthorpe - visited Brigg and observed it was a place "famous for its plantations of liquorice."
1665: Bridge built over the "old" river in Brigg. “The Court at the Angel” was delivering justice.
1666: John Nelthorpe became Sir John, having acquired a Baronetcy in the reign of King Charles II.
1669: The first Brigg ‘free’ school was founded by Sir John Nelthorpe in his will. He had been born in 1614 – probably in a Market Place property where the former HSBC bank now stands. This school, built on Townsend Closes, became known as Brigg Grammar. Sir John stipulated that Latin Greek, Hebrew and arithmetic should be taught to the boys. He left land in trust to generate income for the upkeep of the facility.
1674: Jeremy Elwes bought the Tyrwhitt estates of Wrawby, Brigg and Bigby, previously held by the Tyrwitts.
1680: Brigg Grammar School’s first master, The Rev Nathaniel Taylor, was nominated before 1680, and in March that year the first usher was appointed - William Barrett, of Barton- when it was noted that the school house and dwelling house "were then nearing completion.” The only surviving reference to the school having been completed came in 1681.
1690: Eye-witness account from Mr Morley, of Redbourne, of 'a mighty rain' which hit Brigg, flushing young pike into the gutters of the streets.
1696: The original Kettleby Hall was demolished. Castlethorpe Castle that had stood during King John’s reign was reported to be in ruins.
1699: The Rev Abraham De La Pryme, Vicar of Broughton and diarist, recorded a walk past St Helen’s Well at Wrawby; he called it "a great spring - famous in days of old."
1705: Brigg was described as being the seventh largest settlement in the district behind Haxey, Epworth, Belton, Barton, Crowle and Owston Ferry.
1723: The stagecoach journey from Brigg to London took four days but woods near Hibaldstow “were a haunt of highwaymen” and a “trouble spot.”
1730: "All vagrants and passengers be conveyed to the parish of Hibaldstow and not in, and through, the parish of Redbourne (there) being no public house in Redbourne to entertain any passengers there (Lincolnshire Justice of the Peace Rolls).
1749: The White Hart pub, on Bridge Street, Brigg, was built.
1752: Brigg Town centre expansion and refurbishment/replacement of properties was started by the Elwes family. Changes made nationally to the calendar used in Britain altered the annual Brigg Fair date by 11 days to August 5.
1756: Eminent artist George Stubbs studied animal anatomy while renting a cottage in Horkstow; over the years he undertook a number of commissions for the Nelthorpe family, including painting of Sir John Nelthorpe, 6th Baronet, Out Shooting with his Dogs in Barton Field.
1762: The constable of Barton conveyed the militia from his town to Brigg - for which he was later paid £3 & 5 shillings (£3.25p), then a considerable sum (Lincolnshire Justice of the Peace Rolls).
1760: A large detached property was built on Bigby Street (now the Exchange Coach House Inn, grade two star listed); It has had spells as a school and a gentlemen’s club; Major additions were made to Elsham Hall.
1765: Trust established to maintain the road from Lincoln through Brigg to Barton, with the route between Brigg and Caistor included the following year.
1767: An Act of Parliament set out more effective drainage of land within the Ancholme valley to make the river navigable from Ferriby Sluice, through the town of Glamford Briggs to Bishop Bridge.
1770: Somerby Monument was erected (now grade two listed).
1776: All churchwardens and overseers of the poor were ordered to be very vigilant and strict in prosecuting 'Sabbath Breakers' with warrants being sent to chief constables and petty constables to search for, and apprehend immediately, all rogues, etc (Lincolnshire Justice of the Peace Rolls).
1772: The founder of Methodism, John Wesley, from Epworth, preached in Brigg – describing it as a noisy and turbulent town. “The fear of God fell upon the whole congregation” and he was well received by a large gathering. He returned in 1774 “at the request of chief persons of the town” and again in 1781 when he was “constrained to preach in the Market Place” and “people flocked together on every side.”
1780: Wrawby Windmill was built. The suggest peak for the rabbit fur processing trade in Brigg, much of which went to make hats.
1786: Turnpike road improvements reduced the stagecoach journey time between Brigg and London to 30 hours.
1787: The Rev James Walter was appointed headmaster of Brigg Grammar School, following a meeting of trustees held at the White Lion, in the Market Place.
1790: A jail opened at Kirton-in-Lindsey, serving the district, including Brigg. Bigby Rectory was constructed.
1791: A Quarter Sessions court for the district was held at Kirton; more serious offences were tried at the Assizes (Lincoln).
1792: Following the sale of Baygarth Hall in Barton, the Nelthorpe family made Scawby Hall its main residence.
1794: Brigg Fair attracted 200 people from Hull who crossed the River Humber by boat.
1795: Plays were being performed and enjoyed by audiences at a theatre in Brigg.
1797: A ruined Roman villa's mosaic pavement was unearthed by workmen at Horkstow.
1798: The Brigg Volunteers were formed by Sir John Nelthorpe for the purpose of helping to resist invasion during the Napoleonic war with France (to be disbanded in 1813). The colours were a Union Jack with the Nelthorpe arms in the centre surmounted bv a crown and surrounded with a wreath of roses and thistles. Motto: Pro aris et focis (‘for hearth and home’).
1800: Enclosure of Wrawby and Brigg fields over five years - a landmark in agriculture. A girls’ boarding school was established at Elsham Hall.
1802: Plans were drawn up to deepen and widen the River Ancholme to permit large cargo vessels to use it.
1804: A mill with four sails was built at Castlethorpe. Fearing a war-time French invasion via the River Humber, plans to evacuate many local people were put in place, with 600 wagons and carts to rendezvous at Brigg. Bennetts Timber was founded, establishing a Brigg outlet in 2018, on Atherton Way.
1813: The Congregational Chapel was built on Wrawby Street (still in use today, housing the Lovelle estate agency).
1815: The Singleton Birch lime products company was established, going on to develop the site still in use at Melton Ross.
1817: Building work began on the Town Hall (Buttercross) in Brigg Market Place (completed two years later).
1820: Black Bull pub established on Wrawby Street.
1824: A cricket match was played in Scawby Park between Louth and the Scawby & Brigg clubs (plural).
1826: Pubs in Brigg were the Angel Inn, Market Place; Bacchus, Market Place; Black Bull, Wrawby Street; Coach & Horses, Bigby Street; George & Dragon, Bridge Street. Hammer-in-Hand, The Butchery (now Elwes Street); Hope Tavern, Market Place; Lamb, Bigby Street; Lord Nelson, The Butchery; Red Lion, Wrawby Street; Ship, Market Place; Wheatsheaf, Bridge Street; White Hart, Bridge Street; White Horse, Wrawby Street; White Lion Inn, Market Place; Woolpack, Market Place. (The Angel and the Lion were also 'posting houses').
1827: A gas company was formed in Brigg to provide lighting for the town. Furrier Ralph Musgrove built the largest house in the town - on Wrawby Street (eventually converted to retail and used by Woolworth's and Martin's).
1828: Building of the County Bridge over the River Ancholme; it was designed by James Padley, Lindsey’s county surveyor - hence the name. The bridge it replaced was described in the early 19th century as “perhaps without equal in the county for danger.” A medical report noted that Brigg’s Town Drain was full of putrid animal and vegetable matter and was never cleaned out! (It followed a similar route to today’s Barnard Avenue).
1829: Scawby’s tower mill was built.
1834: Wesleyan Chapel built on West Street, Scawby. The Rev Charles Cotterill was appointed headmaster of Brigg Grammar School, staying until 1876. A subscription library was established in the town.
1835: Building of Horkstow suspension bridge on the River Ancholme, designed by Sir John Rennie. Robert Carey Elwes was Brigg’s Lord of the Manor, occasionally holding a court, with almost 1,800 people living in the town.
1836: Bell’s windmill constructed on Mill Lane, Brigg.
1837: Brigg Workhouse was completed off Wrawby Road - managed by the Brigg Poor Law Union; it served 52 parishes. A. M. & E. Sergeant’s brewery was established in Brigg - water from a spring at nearby Castlethorpe being eminently suitable for making beer.
1840: Laying of the foundation stone for a Primitive Methodist Chapel on Bridge Street, Brigg - known locally as Bourne Methodists after one of its supporters. Redbourne School was constructed with funds from the 10th Duke of St Albans.
1841: A trade directory listed an impressive 30 licensed premises of varying sizes in Brigg. South Ferriby sluice was reconstructed, assisting drainage on the River Ancholme.
1842: School built on Vicarage Road, Wrawby.
1843: St John's Church, Brigg, was constructed on the site of a former chapel of ease. A steam-powered 'carrier boat’ began operating a daily service between Brigg and Hull. In the 1840s it was said that 1,000 vessels a year visited Brigg - many transporting coal and corn.
1844: Brigg was infected with more pickpockets and vagabonds than we can remember to have seen on any former occasion (newspaper report from May that year). Improvements to the River Ancholme were finally completed under Sir John Rennie, creating an efficient waterway and offering suitable land drainage. Walker’s shoe shop was registered at 65 Wrawby Street, the business having opened in the late 1700s (details supplied by Josie Webb).
1845: Smallpox outbreak in Brigg. Members of the London College of Surgeons held a medical meeting in the town to discuss their profession. A Barnetby post mill, various cottages and land in the village were auctioned at the Angel Hotel, Brigg.
1846: Work started on building Brigg’s first police station and courthouse.
1847: William Cressey became Brigg’s first Postmaster. "Members of the Grimsby and the Brigg cricket clubs met in Mr Squires' field to play a match" (newspaper report at the time).
1848: Barnetby and Brigg railway stations were opened by the Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway, together with those serving Howsham and North Kelsey. The last passenger-carrying horse-drawn coach left the Angel in Brigg a few weeks after the railway opened.
1849: Brigg's town centre stocks were used for the last time as a punishment - the offender being a local drunk! The first sewers were laid in the town, where sewage had previously flowed into the "stinking Town Drain.” Scawby & Hibaldstow railway station and the one serving Kirton Lindsey both opened with the completion of Kirton Tunnel – 1,325 yards long through the Lincoln Cliff. In his book Through Kirton Tunnel, Stephen Gay noted that MS&LR chief engineer John Fowler was so impressed “he gave immediate orders that all 130 men contracted by John Stephenson & Co. be treated, at his expense, to one gallon of ale each and a first rate slap-up supper!” John Fowler late became Sir John and was chief engineer on the Forth Bridge project.
1850: Brigg pubs included the The Railway Inn on Albert Street (not long after the opening of the nearby station), The Hammer in Hand on what’s now Elwes Street and The Moon and Stars in the Market Place. There were also temperance 'watering holes' serving only soft drinks - The Waverley, Stringers and Hunters. The town saw a major influx of Irish people who had fled their country because of the Potato Famine (1845-49). Most of them lived in cottages within the town centre courtyards.
1851: Brigg Corn Exchange was built for a joint stock company for trading grain; John Hett was the Exchange’s secretary. The Elwes family sold off considerable land for new housing development to the east of Queen Street.
1852: The Sergeant and Co Brewery was built on banks of the Old River Ancholme (behind today’s White Hart pub). An Act of Parliament was obtained to establish a water works, replacing the Wharf Well which had been used for more than a century. New houses on Albert Street completed (one has the date ‘1852’ embedded in its brickwork today).
1854: National School built at Searby.
1855: Kelly’s Lincolnshire Directory called Brigg a town of extensive trade – one of the most important in Lincolnshire for coal, corn and timber. Building of the Brigg National (Church of England) School in the town centre; it was opened by the Bishop of Lincoln. Grasby School was rebuilt and further enlarged in 1897.
1856: William and Hannah Rowbottom took over the Lord Nelson pub, then part of a farmhouse on Elwes Street (The Butchery). When he died in 1890, she ran it with their sons.
1857: The Statute Fair was reported to have attracted 10,000 people. Brigg Cemetery opened while Wrawby’s churchyard closed (the new cemetery was a joint venture).
1859: Work started on the Trent, Ancholme and Grimsby Railway which, by May 1866, had been extended to link with the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway line at Barnetby and the South Yorkshire Railway at Althorpe. Seventy Brigg people emigrated to New Zealand, with 20 more doing so the following year; they included chemist Thomas Ball who became a successful businessman, landowner, politician, magistrate and lay preacher on the other side of the world.
1860: Kirton jail, serving the district, had 369 inmates, 65 of whom were female.
1862: Robert Owston, a solicitor, sold the large property that would later become the Exchange Club, on Bigby Street, including 35 dozen bottles of port in the transfer. Barnetby School, on St Barnabas Road, opened.
1863: Brigg suffered a typhoid outbreak centred on some of the crowded courtyards. Brigg played cricket at Morton (Gainsborough) from which the original scorecard survives. William Clark installed his Dying Gladiator pub statute.
1864: First meeting of the Local Board, establishing more meaningful local government. Brigg Town Football Club was founded. Barnetby’s Joshua Slowen drove the first train over the River Trent, using the new Keadby Bridge (not the current structure).
1865: Opening of United Methodist Church on Bigby Street (demolished 1966).
1866: Elsham railway station opened on the new Barnetby-Scunthorpe line.
1867: First issue of the Hull Times weekly newspaper, later to become the Lincolnshire Times, with offices in Brigg.
1868: Ancholme Rowing Club was founded in Brigg (still going today); suitable Victorian attire included straw boaters and knickerbockers – the main activity then being rowing along the river to enjoy bank-side picnics. Brigg Market attracted buyers from as far afield as Sheffield, Wakefield and Leeds, who came by train on Thursdays.
1869: Some Brigg streets and courtyards were renamed, including The Butchery which became Elwes Street. Grasby Church was rebuilt with money from the vicar, whose brother was famous poet Lord Tennyson. The Ancholme Lodge of Freemasons was formed in Brigg.
1870: The first Elsham Show was held in the grounds of Elsham Hall on August Bank Holiday. Caroline Empringham became matron of Brigg Workhouse, holding the post for 41 years.
1871: Building of Bigby School for D. H. Carey-Elwes. The Marrowbone & Cleaver pub opened in Kirmington.
1872: Fifteen cases of smallpox were reported in Brigg. The rabbit fur trade in the town was reported to have ceased, Brigg having been a major centre for many years. Local road tolls were abolished. Brigg became an ecclesiastical parish for the first time. The public elementary school was built in Elsham and a school opened in Worlaby. Kirton Lindsey's House of Correction closed. Famous ‘Nonsense’ poem writer Edward Lear published There Was An Old Person Of Brigg about someone who bought a large wig; this poem brought the town to the attention of many Victorians.
1873: Brigg Vicarage was built on Bigby Street (later to house the Prep School).
1874: Building of Hibaldstow School on Redbourne Road.
1875: Springs began making food products in a town centre courtyard - thought to be Coney Court - initially on a modest scale (some sources suggest it was 1885). Horse radish made at the Brigg factory graced Queen Victoria's table at Osborne House, her summer retreat on the Isle of Wight; a letter from the royal household confirmed the sauce had met with approval. Can anyone give the year this correspondence was sent to Springs? A Roman Catholic School was established in Brigg with Miss Cowlam as headmistress. The Labourers’ League held a meeting in Brigg; it campaigned for land reform.
1876: Barnetby Silver Band was formed.
1877: A new chapel opened in Brigg Workhouse.
1878: Thomas Bell & Sons was established - forerunner of today's Country Store on Bigby Road. Brigg Grammar School was improved and extended with a large boarding house added; John Parker of Brigg tendered for the work.
1879: Richmond Flowers, who took over as Brigg Grammar School headmaster; he liked to ‘ride to hounds’ - sometimes appearing in hunting attire on Saturday mornings before setting off for meetings. Brigg Subscription Band was formed. Brigg Town entered the FA Cup but lost 7-0 away to Turton (information from Neil Simpson).
1880: The Lincolnshire County Show was held in Brigg. Brigg Town Football Club entered the FA Cup but lost 8-0 at Darwen, then a prominent member of the Football League; this tie briefly features in the Netflix series The English Game - Episode 2. Meanwhile, Brigg Britannia lost 5-0 to Turton (information about both games from Neil Simpson).
1881: A new light railway between Lincoln and Brigg was suggested but never built. Brigg Town lost 6-0 away to Grantham in the FA Cup first round, while Brigg Britannia were defeated 8-0 at Sheffield.
1882: The Bigby Road Bridge Halt was closed by the Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway; located on Bigby High Road, near today’s A1084 Kettleby bridge, it was used for about 30 years by Brigg people to access trains on the Barnetby-Lincoln line. Brigg Town Football Club thrashed Brigg Grammar School 18-0. In the first round of the Lincolnshire Challenge Cup, Grimsby Town beat Brigg Ancholme 5-3, while Brigg Britannia lost 1-0 to Barton Town. Brigg Britannia again secured a place in the FA Cup first round and were drawn away to Nottingham Forest but Forest enjoyed a ‘walkover’ win.
1883: St John's Church, Brigg, was refurbished by the noted Victorian architect William White. Weasels and stoats trapped in the Brigg area began to be exported by ship to New Zealand in an effort to keep down the rabbit population. Howsham Primitive Methodist Chapel was restored.
1884: Cottages were built on Glebe Road, near Brigg Grammar School.
1885: The Brigg Parliamentary Constituency was created, Sir Henry Meysey-Thompson becoming the first MP. Springs began making food products in a town centre courtyard - thought to be Coney Court (some sources suggest this happened in 1875).
1886: Prehistoric log boat unearthed during excavations to build a gasometer in Brigg. It was moved to Hull Museum in 1909 but destroyed by bombing during World War Two in 1942. Mr Justice Chitty, sitting in the Chancery Division of the High Court of Justice in London, ruled that the pre-historic boat discovered six feet below the surface of land being excavated by the Brigg Gas Company was the legal property of the Elwes family who owned the land and not the gas company which claimed ownership of the boat (information kindly supplied by Judge Michael Heath, now retired, a former Brigg resident). Samuel Danks Waddy became the second MP elected for the new Brigg constituency.
1889: “Tumultuous reception” for local land and property owner Gervase Elwes and his wife Lady Winefride, a daughter of the Earl of Denbigh; following their honeymoon they arrived in Brigg by train. Estate workmen erected a triumphal arch on the station approach which they passed under on their way to the local Manor House. People crowded the streets, flags were flown, feasting took place and all the shops were closed. Henry Spring began lemon curd manufacture in Brigg. However, trade on the River Ancholme up to Bishopbridge, a centre for farmers shipping corn, had virtually ceased following the arrival of the railway. Hibaldstow Bridge was completed.
1890: A sanatorium (later to be used as a canteen) was built on the field at Brigg Grammar School. The Brigg Steam Cultivation Company, based at the Ancholme Foundry, was wound up.
1891: Springs moved to larger premises in Morley Yard, Brigg.
1892: Brigg’s boundary was extended to include parts of the town to the west of the County Bridge, formerly in Broughton and Scawby parishes. Canon John Booth Good, who for many years ran the Mission to the Thompson and Fraser River Indians in British Columbia, wrote a book about his travels and experiences, and gave a vivid account of his time as a pupil at Brigg Grammar School.
1893: Dunn’s shoe shop opened on Wrawby Street, Brigg. George Layne established a cycle business in the town; in future decades he was to sell cars and motor-cycles on Bigby Street; George would become one of the first people in North Lincolnshire to own a car.
1894: Glanford Brigg Urban District Council created, taking on duties previously undertaken by the Brigg Local Board and the Poor Law Union. Brigg Rural District Council, based in the town, served surrounding villages. The Peacock and Binnington agricultural engineering company founded. John Maunsell Richardson became the Brigg MP in a by-election.
1895: Harold Reckitt was returned to represent Brigg’s interests in Parliament. Diplomat and notable singer, returned from the British Embassy in Vienna to help manage the family’s Brigg estates.
1896: Rebuilding of the Angel Hotel frontage to simulate an older half-timbered 'mock Tudor' building. The Council School, North Kelsey, was completed. The Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway – operating all local stations and goods depots – became the Great Central.
1897: Local businesses decorated their premises to mark Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee and a special dinner was held. However, the Brigg Board of Guardians decided not to allow a pint of beer apiece to be made available to old men living in the Workhouse to drink the Queen’s health. Wallhead's Outfitters was established - still trading today on Wrawby Street. A monument to the late Alderman Shaw was unveiled. The Hull Times ran a column called Heard in Brigg Streets
1898: Eight people died as a result of the area’s worst ever railway accident – at Wrawby Junction. Springs factory foreman Herbert Clarke led the introduction of lemon cheese (or curd), one of the company's most popular Delights, but left that year to establish Bowler, Clarke and Co. to make jellies, fruit syrups and lemon curd, in premises on Engine Street. Brigg Urban District Council brought five acres of riverside land for a sewage works. Young Matt Hutchinson joined Brigg Town Silver Band and would still be playing trombone on his 87th birthday!
1899: Dunham's - bakers and confectioners – were established (still in town today). A new Post Office opened on Wrawby Street. Brigg Urban District council bought the town’s gas company and its works and took over local supplies.
1900: The Brigg Workhouse guardians permitted talking at meal-times – a change in policy reported by the local press. The first North Lincolnshire (Brigg) Music and Drama Festival was held. With a decline in pupil numbers, Brigg Grammar School decided to admit girls as a trial measure. Most Brigg town centre cottages by now had a water supply, although often just a single tap near the front door with a bucket underneath. Elsham Golf Club was founded.
1901: Brigg people mourned the death of Queen Victoria. Brigg Constitutional Club, with 180 members, opened in the Exchange building, on Bigby Street.
1902: Scawby-born Alfred Talbot Cliff played his first county cricket season with Worcestershire, continuing with them until 1920. While taking a career best eight wickets against Kent, one of his victims was Test star Frank Woolley – one of England’s best-ever batsmen.
1903: Brigg Amateur Operatic Society was formed. With numbers on the roll still falling, Brigg Grammar started to accept pupils as young as six.
1904: Castlethorpe Mill was damaged by a severe fire. Brigg Grammar School head Richmond Flowers stepped down.
1905: Brigg Grammar was forced to close for 18 months.
1906: Joseph Taylor, of Saxby-All-Saints sang Brigg Fair at the town’s music festival. This traditional tune was one of the many folk songs in the collection of pianist and composer Percy Grainger who was a personal friend of Gervase Elwes; Brigg Fair was later orchestrated by composer Frederick Delius and it still performed at classical music concerts today. Brigg-born Joe Kitchen made his Football League debut for Gainsborough Trinity in Division Two; he later moved to Sheffield United, scoring more than 100 goals for the Blades; Joe had started with Brigg Britannia and Brigg Town. George Layne was selling Glanford brand motorcycles in the town. Henry Reckitt was elected MP for Brigg in the General Election.
1907: Sir Berkeley Sheffield was elected MP for Brigg in a by-election; he was a member of the Exchange gentlemen's club in the town. Chatterton’s corn and cake mill, near the County Bridge, was taken over by the Farmers’ Company. Walker’s shoe shop moved from 65 Wrawby Street to 1 Bigby Street and then again (in 1910) to 75 Wrawby Street (information from Josie Webb).
1908: Laying of the foundation stone for the Salvation Army Hall on West Terrace, Brigg, by Sir Berkeley Sheffield. 'King Trough' - opposite the old Dog & Rat pub in Broughton - was built by Mr J. H. Skevington (date provided by Neil Simpson). John A. Jackson & Sons Ltd – Jewellers, Brigg, founded.
1909: Brigg Cemetery was extended.
1910: Yarborough Mills, adjoining the New River Ancholme, was destroyed by a huge fire but subsequently rebuilt. Alfred Gelder became MP. A prehistoric Brigg boat on display in the town was moved to a museum in Hull.
1911: Brigg people took to the streets on June 22 to celebrate the Coronation of King George V. The Lincolnshire Show was held in Brigg over three days in July with special excursion trains bringing spectators from as far away as Rotherham, Sheffield and Worksop.
1912: Brigg Bowling Club was founded. Building of the infants' school, Scawby. Beech Villas were constructed on Grammar School Road – these properties becoming the most northerly in the town at that time. Yarborough Mills (oil seed) were rebuilt, following the fire two years earlier.
1913: The Manor House, on Bigby Street, was handed over by the Elwes family to an Order of Nuns, to be used as a Convent. Brigg Town Football Club became the first to win the Hett Cup, donated by a local benefactor (trophy still in use today with annual tournaments held to raise funds for charity). Cadney Church reopened following restoration. After a gap of some seasons, Brigg Town entered the FA Cup but lost a preliminary round qualifier against Frickley Colliery 4-1 (information from Neil Simpson).
1914: Brigg people volunteered to serve at the beginning of the First World War. Troops paraded through the streets, watched by crowds, on their way to board trains at the railway station. In a Roll of Honour, Brigg Grammar School's Magazine listed ex-pupils serving their country and reported the death of one of them, Harold Oglesby, of the Yorkshire Light Infantry, on October 18, 1914 - very early in the conflict.
1915: The Brigg Infirmary off Wrawby Road was opened by R. W. Godfrey, chairman of the Brigg Board of Guardians. It was later renamed Glanford Hospital. During the war Springs factory in Brigg sent Christmas puddings and honey to cheer up servicemen abroad. A Hibaldstow man was struck by lightning during a terrific August thunderstorm. 1915/16: Broughton Mill (Mill Lane) was pulled down (information provided by Neil Simpson).
1916: A grass airfield was established at Elsham as part of Britain's Home Defence to combat German Zeppelin airship bombers. Air raid precautions were observed at Brigg Grammar School, where boarders were instructed to run to the day room when alerts were received about ‘Zepps’ being in the district. Lieutenant 'Billy' Leefe Robinson - the first pilot to shoot down a Zeppelin and holder of the Victoria Cross - was cheered by a crowd in Brigg Market Place when he visited the town; he had downed the airship near London. Wrawby Junction signalbox was installed - the largest on the Great Central Railway with 137 levers. Tracks through Barnetby were extended following the development of the port at Immingham and the village station was improved.
1917: Sergeant Frederick Hobson - "a native of Brigg" - was awarded the Victoria Cross for gallantry. Brigg Grammar School lost 3-1 to Elsham Aerodrome in a friendly football match. A soup kitchen opened in the Town Hall (Buttercross) serving pint portions to people from all classes; Brigg Urban District Council provided the soup at cost price and it was served by volunteers - people taking it home to their families.
1918: H. F. Stennett began auctioning smallholders' produce on land off Manley Gardens. Charles McLean became Brigg MP. Hostilities ceased on the Western Front. Brigg Grammar School, with a record 150 pupils, "marched in fours" to to the Market Place on Armistice Day to take part in the Thanksgiving Service. The school grew many tons of potatoes on its land to help in a time of food shortage. Sister Ellen Andrew, a nurse, was killed during an aerial bombing raid on a Red Cross train on the first day of the final German offensive in spring 1918. Alderman Joshua Davy received many letters of thanks for his generosity in gifting Brigg a "play centre for young children." Many Brigg people contracted flu during a world pandemic, with some deaths. Broughton Women's Institute was established (date provided by Neil Simpson).
1919: Unveiling of Brigg War Memorial by Mrs Stamp, wife of Alderman Harry Stamp. The Girls' High School opened on Bigby Street (it moved in 1936 to a site off Wrawby Road). Brigg Peace Celebrations were held, including a meal at the Angel for heroes who had survived the conflict. The fledgling telephone service had 20 local subscribers.
1920: Brigg British Legion (later operating the Servicemen's Club) was officially registered. Brigg Hockey Club was founded. Tenders were invited by Brigg Urban District Council to build homes for people to rent on land between Wrawby Road and Glebe Road. Brigg-born cyclist Lal White represented Great Britain at the Olympics in Antwerp, Belgium. The Daisy Bus Company was founded in Broughton.
1921: Brigg Urban District Council's table of tolls payable on market produce included 2d per head of cattle, 2d for every basket of butter, 1d for a goose and 1d for half-a-dozen pigeons; these charges were approved by the Minister of Heath at a time when C. F. W. Cotton was clerk to Brigg UDC. A Fordson tractor demonstration was held in Brigg – just a couple of years after Henry Ford’s company launched this global brand. The Balderson brothers from South Kelsey entered the bus business, running to Brigg on Thursdays and Saturdays.
1922: William Sargent established the family ice cream business in Hibaldstow. Sir Berkeley Sheffield became Brigg MP once again. Brigg hosted a brass band contest involving seven bands, including Barnetby and Barton. Hibaldstow’s war memorial, paying tribute to those who died during the 1914-18 conflict, was unveiled. F. Proctor Transport, Brigg, was established.
1923: George Jobson took over the Queens Arms on Wrawby Street, Brigg; he was to prove a very long-serving landlord. All railway stations in the Brigg area became part of the newly-created London & North Eastern Railway. The Briggensians’ Association – representing former pupils of Brigg Grammar School – was founded at a meeting on July 25, then being known as the BGS Old Boys’ Association. Architects Palmer & Holden designed the National Provincial Bank in Brigg Market Place (later NatWest). Broughton’s war memorial was dedicated, with the Earl of Yarborough in attendance.
1924: W. A. Sass established the Monument Garage, Brigg. Closure of the Sutton & Bean Britannia Brewery between Wrawby Street and Bigby Street; it had been established in the 19th century by Frank R. Sutton of Scawby who was later joined by Hull accountant William Ashby Bean. Brigg Women's Institute was formed. A bomb jettisoned by a German Zeppelin during the First World War was discovered stuck in a tree in Wrawby; the airship had been on a raid over Scunthorpe. The first annual dinner of the Brigg Grammar School Old Boys’ Association was held at the town’s Woolpack Hotel. Three war memorials were erected in Broughton, the well-known Gilbert Bayes monument (by the same architect responsible for the Queen of Time at Selfridges store, London) and also a memorial field and a memorial hut on the playing field (details provided by Neil Simpson). Brigg Women’s Institute was founded.
1925: Seventeen former Sutton & Bean pubs were acquired by the Hull Brewery Company, including Brigg’s White Horse. Shop owners got together to insure their expensive plate glass windows – the start of Brigg Chamber of Trade. Elsham Hall was sold by the Astley-Corbett family to a college.
1926: The Brigg area was affected by The General Strike in May, with train services decimated. Brigg Grammar School created a productive vegetable garden, tended by pupils, out of a wilderness. Broughton Rangers lost 3-2 to Grimsby Haycroft Rovers in the FA Cup first qualifying round (information from Neil Simpson).
1927: Launch of the Grand Cinema on Wrawby Street, Brigg. Curry’s shop opened in the town; the national firm sold cycles and later electrical goods. Broughton Rangers had a good run in the FA Cup, reaching the third qualifying round in which they lost 5-2 to Gainsborough Trinity (information from Neil Simpson).
1928: Work started on building Brigg Sugar Factory - beet from local fields being processed. The Lincolnshire Road Car Company was established, providing local buses.
1929: New year sugar-refining work for 300 people was announced at the factory. Glebe Road Junior School opened. Brigg Grammar School's sports pavilion was built by pupils and staff. Acting star of the future, Joan Plowright (Lady Olivier), was born in Brigg at the family home on Central Square; her father was editor of local newspaper The Star. The Angel Hotel was put up for sale. N. F. Preston was appointed surveyor to Brigg UDC – much later to have a street named in his honour; he was involved in council house building projects. David Quibell was elected MP for the Brigg Constituency, losing his seat after two years to Michael Hunter. Broughton Rangers beat Brigg Town 6-0 in an FA Cup replay but went on to lose 7-0 to Scunthorpe United (information from Neil Simpson).
1930: Workhouses were abolished, including Brigg’s, the site being taken over by Lindsey County Council’s Public Assistance Committee. The guardians’ room had been used for meetings of Brigg Rural District Council (founded in 1894) whose staff were housed in two cottages on Albert Street. However, the council then acquired Arley House, on Bigby Street, former home of the Bletcher family, and converted it into offices. Bratley’s windmill, in Mill Place, Scawby Brook, was demolished.
1931: The Elwes family bought Elsham Hall. The government made an order giving the Yorkshire Electric Power Company permission to supply Brigg and the surrounding area. An ornate plaque was dedicated inside St John's Church, remembering Brigg men who died during the First World War. Brigg Town Cricket Club folded.
1932: Brigg Grammar School's speech day, held in the town's Grand Theatre, heard a call for a gymnasium to be built , to cater for more than 200 boys, and noted the growth of the School Orchestra. Brigg Sugar Factory entered the FA Cup, beating Grimsby Haycroft Rangers 1-0, defeating beat Brigg Town 9-0 and Barton 3-2 in a replay before losing 3-2 at Louth in the third qualifying round (information from Neil Simpson).
1933: Kettle’s furniture business in Brigg was gutted by fire. The town’s gas plant was described as obsolete and in danger of collapse. A plan was drawn up to tackle ‘slum housing’ in the town centre. Scunthorpe United Reserves entered Brigg's Hett Cup - and won it.
1934: Brigg's first Trades Exhibition was staged - at the Corn Exchange - attracting 2,000 visitors on the first day. Glanford Boat Club was formed. Land was purchased from Tadcaster Brewery by the urban council to build the Newlands housing estate, the estimated cost being £85,000.
1935: Soft drinks firm Lindsey Aerated Water Supply (LAWS) was founded in premises near the Old River Ancholme. Work started on building the Newlands estate to house people living in town centre courtyard cottages. The foundation stone was laid for a new Conservative Club in Brigg. A meeting was held in the town to discuss a by-pass road and the idea of building a local swimming pool was suggested. David Quibell again became Brigg MP.
1936: The newly-built Brigg Post Office opened on Bigby Street. Celebrations were held to mark the centenary of Bell’s windmill on Mill Lane. Parker & Cladingbowl (drapery, outfitting,soft furnishings) was established in Brigg.
1937: Ernest Taylor established his TV and radio repair/sales business in the town, later selling toys in his shop. A repertory company performed for some weeks in the Parish Hall, on Elwes Street (memory from Cliff Turner). News about Brigg featured in the pages of the area's newly-launched Scunthorpe Evening Telegraph, launched that September. Severe flooding affected Brigg in December. Broughton's Daisy Bus Service bought W.H. Christian's Ermine Coaches (information supplied by Neil Simpson). Peacock & Binnington became a limited company, with Allen Peacock (son of the founder) as managing director.
1938: Joseph J. Magrath - still remembered today as 'Mr Brigg' - was appointed Town Clerk; decades later he was awarded the OBE. A surviving Springs Delights price list from this year shows the following products being made at the Brigg factory – lemon cheese, grapefruit butter, marmalade, various types of jam and honey, natural fruit squashes and calves’ feet jelly; the factory also made, at various times, Christmas puddings, horseradish sauce and mincemeat. A National Farmers’ Union branch was formed in Brigg.
1939: The Second World War began on September 3; the following day the air raid sirens sounded in Brigg but no German bombers arrived overhead. The first three men from the town to be called up included George Hewson, the future councillor, who was a Royal Navy reservist. The editor of the Brigg Grammar School Magazine told fellow pupils: "We, the youth of the nation, have our part to play in this conflict." The School Notes section made reference to ungainly air raid shelters on the edge of the playing field. Although it had seemed likely the school would have to share its premises "with the evacuated Maris College from Hull" the visitors had been accommodated at nearby Brigg Girls’ High. The Glanford Players staged their first production. Initial plans to create a recreation ground for Brigg were announced but put on hold because of the war.
1940: Kirton airfield opened as a fighter base. Famous ‘ace’ Douglas Bader, who had lost both his legs in a crash, was posted there; he inspired the film Reach for the Sky; a road in the town would later be named in his honour. Work started on building Hibaldstow Airfield for the RAF. North Lincolnshire experienced its coldest winter since 1894; “to be in time for school became the exception rather than the rule,” Brigg Grammar’s magazine explained, as transport was severely disrupted by snow drifts.
1941: RAF Elsham Wolds (bomber) airfield became operational, as did Hibaldstow’s fighter station. Brigg Grammar School was closed for three weeks in October so pupils could give much-needed assistance on farms in the neighbourhood during the potato harvest; there were 324 boys there at the time. Young geography master Geoff Jarvis was dividing his time between serving with Brigg fire service and teaching.
1942: Colonel Oliver Sutton Nelthorpe, from Scawby - chairman of governors at Brigg Grammar School - was made a Commander of the British Empire in the King's Birthday Honours List. RAF Kirmington became an operational bomber base.
1943: A prehistoric boat dug up in Brigg decades earlier was destroyed when Hull’s Albion Museum was hit during a German air raid. Pingley Camp opened off Bigby High Road; it housed Italian and German prisoners-of-war and was built to provide accommodation for 750. Pingley Camp’s huts continued to house agricultural workers for many years. Legendary Lancaster bomber ‘Mike Squared’ entered service at RAF Elsham Wolds and completed a record 140 missions by the end of 1944.
1944: Prompt action by Brigg signalman Walter Ward helped avert disaster when an ammunition train caught fire. War-time Prime Minister Winston Churchill stayed the night, in secret, at the Exchange Club in Brigg; he was here to visit a company in Scunthorpe which made vital equipment for the D-Day landings in northern France. Future star of The Great Escape WW2 film, actor Donald Pleasence was shot down while on a bombing raid from RAF Kirmington and himself became a prisoner of war.
1945: A Lancaster bomber caught fire and one of the crew members who landed by parachute died in Brigg (memorial plaque installed in 2018 at Harrison's Hideaway, near Smithy's Pond, on Island Carr). Margaret Horton had an unscheduled flight on the wing of a Spitfire at RAF Hibaldstow where she was based, surviving the ordeal. VE Day and VJ Day, marking the end of hostilities, saw major celebrations in the town with a police sergeant being carried shoulder-high by one group of happy revellers. On VE Day, in May, a large communal party was held at Woodbine Farm, off Wrawby Road. Brigg’s VJ Day celebrations went on until 1am (officially ‘last orders’ in the pubs). Earlier, there had been a communal bonfire and firework display, and a number of parties. Politician David Quibell became Lord Quibell, with Tom Williamson being elected Brigg’s MP. Brigg Agricultural Show was held on August 6, following the Horse Fair.
1946: Corah's began manufacturing clothes in Brigg using a former RAF hut – soon extended to three - before building a factory off Bridge Street which later employed 400. George Hewson was elected for the first time to serve on Brigg Urban District Council.
1947: Brigg people of all ages suffered during a very severe winter, with coal in short supply for heating, rationing still in force on many items and an era of austerity prevailing. During the 'Big Freeze' Broughton's Daisy Bus Service completed ALL its contracts, including school runs, despite drivers often having to dig their vehicles out of deep snowdrifts. Broughton Pensioners' Club was established (date provided by Neil Simpson). RAF Elsham Wolds was closed.
1948: Lance Mallalieu was elected Brigg MP, serving until retirement in 1974. Sheila's Cottage - owned by Brigg pub proprietor John Proctor - won the world famous Grand National horse race at long odds. He bought drinks that evening for everyone who visited town centre pubs, not just his own Lord Nelson! Nationalised British Railways was created, running all trains, stations and goods depots in the Brigg area. Broughton Cricket Club was formed (date provided by Neil Simpson).
1949: Building work was under way on the post-war Springbank council housing estate in Brigg. The Briggensians' Association, representing former pupils of Brigg Grammar School, held its first annual 'social' dance at the Angel Hotel; it was well-attended and music was provided by Harry Thompson and his Band - the Ballroom being "appropriately decorated in School colours." At Brigg Grammar School a bronze war memorial plaque was unveiled listing the names of 50 former pupils who had died while serving their country; their names were read at the dedication ceremony. Post-war attempts to re-establish Brigg Town Cricket Club failed.
1950: A shortage of buildings at Brigg Grammar School made it necessary to continue using old Army huts bought in 1918, while the boarding house and the headmaster's dining room had to be used for some classes. Pupils enjoyed tours of Appleby-Frodingham steelworks, Scunthorpe, watching furnaces being tapped.
1951: Metal handrails replaced the original sandstone balustrades on Brigg County Bridge. Newstead Priory Farmhouse, Cadney, was made a grade one listed building. Rugby union was added to the list of sports played by pupils at Brigg Grammar School; Miss D. Rickatson, a state registered nurse, became the new matron in the boarding house. The original, tall slide on the Davy Memorial Playing Field was installed for Brigg children to enjoy (estimated date provided by Denis Laycock who used it as a boy). The Ancholme Internal Drainage Board was formed.
1952: Councillor Edward Dodd, as Chairman of Brigg Urban District Council, positioned himself in the Market Place to read the official proclamation about Queen Elizabeth II succeeding to the throne following the death of her father, King George VI. Brigg Recreation Ground opened - created from Woodbine Farm, purchased by the council. The access to Cary Lane from the Market Place was widened to make things easier for drivers – one historic building being demolished.
1953: A temporary arch was erected on the County Bridge to mark the Queen’s Coronation – provided by Springs jam factory; the Scouts toured Elsham with lighted torches made from baked bean cans filled with mothballs! Brigg Recreation Ground opened in July. Scawby’s village pond was filled in and became Coronation Gardens. The prestigious Lincolnshire Show was held in Scawby Park. Broughton Folk Dance Club was formed (date provided by Neil Simpson).
1954: Brigg Sequence Dance Club was founded. A golden period for Barnetby United FC was capped by clinching the Grimsby League First Division title.
1955: Brigg Grammar School started work on building a new swimming pool, having gained approval from the governors and Lindsey County Council.
1956: A dramatic child rescue from a Brigg house blaze resulted in a bravery award for fireman Charles Richard. Don Charlwood published No Moon Tonight – an acclaimed book about his war-time service with 103 Squadron at RAF Elsham. Brigg’s second trade exhibition was held, being opened by Lord Quibell, the former MP; it was a major success.
1957: Glanford School, Brigg, opened. A national flu epidemic badly affected Brigg Grammar School which had to put back its annual speech day by several months. Reflecting a popular UK music trend, a school Jazz Club was founded, playing records on a gramophone.
1958: Brigg's Barrie Horstead was in Scunthorpe United's 'giant-killing' squad which won at Newcastle United in the FA Cup. The defender played 320 league appearances, retiring in 1966; he later worked at Brigg Sugar Factory. Broughton Country Club was formed (date provided by Neil Simpson).
1959: Westmoor School, Brigg, opened; H. B. Williams became headmaster of the Grammar School; he was to become the last in a long line. Teacher Frank Henthorn’s book A History of Brigg Grammar School was published. Brigg MP Lance Mallalieu questioned why foreign students were not being permitted to stay at Pingley Camp and carry out agricultural work. Broughton's new Village Hall was built (date provided by Neil Simpson).
1960: Restoration work started on Wrawby Mill, operated by wind power until 1939. The newly-built Ancholme Inn, on Grammar School Road, Brigg, served its first pints, while George Jobson retired as licensee at the Queens Arms. Former Brigg Grammar School pupil Roger Holmes made his league debut for Lincoln City FC, staying with the Imps until 1970. Properties in several Brigg town centre courtyards were subject to ‘slum clearance’.
1961: Brigg Amateurs Football Club was founded. The Jerry Green charity was established to help dogs in need, with a centre near Broughton, and the Broughton Ex-Service Association was formed (date provided by Neil Simpson).
1962: Severe winter weather arrived in December, with snow and ice continuing for many weeks into the New Year. R W Pratt, who had been a teacher at Brigg Grammar since 1929, retired. The Sherwood family cycle and toy shop opened on Bridge Street.
1963: The first Christmas lights display was organised by Brigg Chamber of Trade. Brigg Stockmarket was constructed between Cary Lane and Barnard Avenue, and the new Brigg Methodist Church opened. Brigg Servicemen’s Football Club was formed.
1964: Brian’s DIY was established. Pensioners’ bungalows were built by the council on Barnard Aveue. Brigg Town Band was re-formed;. Scawby railway station’s goods depot closed. The Wishing Well pub opened in Worlaby.
1965: Closure of the Grand Cinema on Wrawby Street, Brigg, and the railway stations serving Howsham and North Kelsey. Brigg Town Football Club celebrated its centenary season by playing a Sheffield Wednesday XI at The Hawthorns, losing 2-1. Jackson’s opened its food store on Wrawby Street, Brigg. Three Howsham boys were rewarded by British Railways for showing initiative by removing a sleeper and stones from the line. Kirton Lindsey's forces' base was transferred to the Royal Artillery but still maintained by the RAF.
1966: St Mary's Roman Catholic Church, on Barnard Avenue, Brigg, was dedicated. The United Methodist Church on Bigby Street, was demolished. New streets in Brigg were named in honour of Sir Winston Churchill, US President Kennedy and Father O’Hanlon, the town’s former Catholic priest. A new Roman Catholic School opened on Grammar School Road. Myles and Mary Scanlon took over the Nelthorpe Arms. Castlethorpe Tannery closed.
1967: Closure of Sergeant's Brigg brewery by the then owners; teacher Mr G. Mounsey and some pupils from Westmoor School visited the building in October - shortly before it closed down - to record the process and equipment in use, and their account of its contents was later published over four pages in the Lincolnshire Industrial Archaeology's journal. Scawby Hall was made a grade one listed building. Wrawby Athletic FC won the Hett Cup (it would not be played for again until 2012).
1968: The Yarborough Hunt pub closed "without much notice" (years later to be re-opened, selling Tom Wood's ales brewed at Melton Ross). Scawby & Hibaldstow railway was closed to passenger traffic by British Rail. World famous steam loco Flying Scotsman (by then preserved) hauled an enthusiasts' special through Brigg. Saturday morning lessons were finally phased out at Brigg Grammar School, chiefly to save costs on bus travel from outlying villages. Brigg District Lions Club was founded. The Guinness Book of Records included "longest straight road - 22¾ miles between Bailgate, Lincoln, and Broughton village" (details provided by Neil Simpson).
1969: The 300th anniversary of the founding of Brigg Grammar School by Sir John Nelthorpe was marked by reopening the original schoolroom door, producing two cine films and heating the swimming pool (a great relief for pupils!). History master Dr Frank Henthorn also published his second book about the history of the school, this time covering the period from 1919. Paytrains were introduced by British Rail on the Brigg line - passengers tendering fares to onboard conductor/guards, doing away with the need to buy tickets from station booking offices which closed. The Brigg Window Company was formed. Brigg UDC left the Buttercross for a new Town Hall completed on Cary Lane. E. H. Smith Ironmongers, in the Market Place, closed after 350+ years. Tony Jacklin, who lived in Elsham, won the British Open Golf Championship. Barrister Sir Kenneth Jones, who had been educated at Brigg Grammar School, prosecuted for the Crown in the Old Bailey trial of gangsters Ronald and Reggie Kray; Sir Kenneth later served as a High Court judge for 16 years.
1970: Tony Jacklin won the US Open; he attended the annual sports day organised by Brigg Preparatory School at the Recreation Ground. Brigg Old People's Welfare Committee received a van for its meals on wheels delivery service – generously donated by the local Lions. Elsham Hall Country Park was opened by the Elwes family. Wrawby people started fundraising to create a village playing field.
1971: Layne's garage closed. Brigg Convent, also on Bigby Street, was shut by its Order of Nuns; the building later being converted to provide housing. One of the earliest recorded snowfalls recorded in Brigg arrived on November 19. A Parents’ Association was formed at Brigg Grammar School for the first time, and the old blue-painted school bus was sold for £5 – described as “a very good price!” (many ex-pupils from that era will appreciate why). Scawby Football Club won the Victor Cup for the second successive season.
1972: Joseph J. Magrath retired as Brigg Town Clerk (and chief officer of the UDC) but carried on in a part-time capacity, later becoming Brigg Town Council's first Clerk. Initial scheduled passenger flights served Kirmington airfield which became Humberside (International) Airport. A new Scawby Village Hall opened but the Brigg Convent School, closed. Brigg’s main car park (Old Courts Road) was approved by the UDC at a cost of £20,000.
1973: Brigg Urban District Council began a major refurbishment scheme for scores of council houses, including the installation of central heating and (in many cases) inside toilets. John Morrell & Co took over Springs preserves factory - one of the town's major employers. Nellie Clark retired after being at the Brocklesby Ox pub for 58 years - 31 as licensee. South Kelsey Village Hall opened. Spring & Company was taken over by the Morrell firm of Liverpool as Spring Food Products. The last commercial barges operated along the river to Brigg. The Ancholme Gardens, council-owned, bungalows on Elwes Street were built. A new Brigg Fire Station was constructed. Coun Dorothy Selby, of Hedgerow Lane, became the first (and last) female chairman of Brigg UDC.
1974: Archaeologists from the National Maritime Museum excavated the Brigg Raft, on Island Carr, and took it to London. Under local government re-organisation, Barton UDC was amalgamated with Brigg Urban District Council and Glanford Brigg Rural District Council to form Glanford Borough Council, based in Brigg, with town resident Robert Crosby as Clerk. Various town and parish authorities including Brigg Town Council were formed. Humberside County Council became the top-tier body. Journalist Edward (Ted) Dodd published his acclaimed book, simply called Brigg, with the help of a grant from the Urban District Council; a copy was offered to every household in the town. The Brigg Parliamentary Constituency was replaced by Brigg & Scunthorpe, John Ellis being elected MP. Councillor Ken Pearce was installed as the first Town Mayor of Brigg. Newly re-formed Brigg Town Cricket Club played its first league season. Glanford Amateur Swimming Club was formed. Broughton became a town, rather than a village. Cadney Reservoir was opened by the North Lindsey Water Board. Brigg Secondary School merged Westmoor and Glanford.
1975: Corah's hosiery factory, on Bridge Street, closed. Glanford Leisure Centre at Scawby Brook opened; Sir Robin Brook, acting chairman of the Sports Council, launched the facility on Saturday, May 10; a campaign to establish a public swimming pool to serve the Brigg area had launched in the mid-1960s.
1976: Sir John Nelthorpe School was established with the adoption of comprehensive education by Humberside County Council, occupying the former Brigg Grammar and Brigg Girls’ High School sites. Vale of Ancholme Comprehensive School was created with sites on Redcombe Lane and Grammar School Road, utilising the Glanford and Westmoor buildings. The Congregational Church, on Wrawby Street, and St John’s Church, Bigby Street, were given grade two listed status, along with the Woolpack, Dying Gladiator and Lord Nelson pubs. Albright & Wilson closed its Brigg depot and offices. More than 100 steeds were sold at Brigg Horse Fair. Glanford Brigg finished third in the Grand National at Aintree - won by the world famous Red Rum. The former control tower on Hibaldstow airfield was converted into a dwelling. Nine years after the closure of Sergeant's Brewery in Brigg, historians visited the derelict riverside building - taking measurements, photographing the building and publishing plans of both floors after all machinery had been removed. Summer 1976 was very hot, with plagues of insects resulting, and there was a prolonged drought, resulting in some standpipes being erected.
1977: The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh visited Brigg and watched a pageant at the Recreation Ground; it was part of a nationwide Silver Jubilee tour. The stretch of the M180 near Brigg opened, by-passing the town and removing a considerable amount of heavy traffic. The so-called Roman Bridge in Scawby was demolished; it was in a small copse beside the B1207; constructed from stone, the bridge was thought to date from the late 18th century.
1978: New Brigg police station opened on Barnard Avenue. Famous disc jockey David ‘Diddy’ Hamilton came to Brigg to officially open a new housing development. Brigg Town Cricket Club became the only division three team ever to win the Broughton Evening League Knockout Cup. Eastern Airways operated Dakota planes from Kirmington Airport. H. B. (Brian) Williams, first headteacher of Sir John Nelthorpe School, retired; he had been Brigg Grammar’s head 1959-1974.
1979: Brigg's Andrew 'Sass' Markham set a new Land's End to John O'Groats hitch-hiking record time on September 3 and 4, and it was in the famous Guinness Book of Records for six years. The Lord Nelson Hotel opened its Trafalgar Restaurant. Brigg cricketer 'Gig' Smith performed two hat-tricks during the home match against Caistor (still a Lincolnshire League record) while taking nine wickets. Ray Neall acquired the derelict White Hart, on Bridge Street, and began rebuilding it. Michael Brown (Conservative) was elected MP for Brigg & Scunthorpe.
1980: Springs factory closed in March (information kindly provided by Josie Webb). Brigg Chamber of Trade held a Shopping Week, including a town centre Charity Market which attracted a then record 52 stalls; Shopping Week supporters included these long-lasting businesses: Brian's DIY, J.B. Wallhead & Sons, Dunham's Bakers & Confectioners, Barnard’s Butchers, J. & Y. L. Pickering, and Dent's Spar Shop. Baker's Oven opened an eatery in Brigg town centre. Brigg Town Cricket Club played in the newly-formed South Humberside Alliance. Brigg Tennis Club was founded.
1981: Bell's shop closed in the Market Place. Grandways opened Brigg's first large supermarket – purpose-built on the riverside. Long-serving newsagent's shop manageress Winnie Cammack retired from Richardsons on Wrawby Street. Oil was discovered at Howsham during drilling. Canon Ben Whitfield was inducted as Vicar of Wrawby.
1982: The Lincolnshire & South Humberside Times newspaper celebrated its 125th anniversary edition. Its offices were at 57 Wrawby Street, Brigg. The Springs Parade shopping arcade was created by converting former warehousing. Troops from Kirton Lindsey returned to base after taking part in the Falklands War against Argentina, their regiment being awarded the Freedom of Glanford by the Brigg-based Borough Council. Brigg man Andrew ‘Sass’ Markham watched matches at every Scottish Football League ground in the same season.
1983: The old Castlethorpe windmill was converted into the Arties Mill hotel. Wrawby-born singer Carmel McCourt had a UK top 20 hit with Bad Day. Laurence Craven, from Sturton, was elected to an important post – Lincolnshire chairman of the National Farmers’ Union. Sir Edward Leigh first elected MP for Gainsborough, a constituency which includes a number of West Lindsey villages near Brigg; in the run up to the election he was interviewed by the Lincolnshire Times in North Kelsey. The new A180 from Barnetby Top to Grimsby was opened to traffic, connecting with the M180.
1984: Closure of Woolworth's store on Wrawby Street (in the building now occupied by Martin's and the Post Office). Brigg's Andrew 'Sass' Markham departed on November 30, 1984 and made his way around the world, returning to town 1,254 days later on May 4, 1988; he provided regular bulletins from various countries on his route, including India and China, which were serialised in the Scunthorpe Evening Telegraph. A meeting in the Lord Nelson Hotel led to the formation of North Lincolnshire's first American football team - the Brigg Jets.
1985: Prince Charles visited Brigg, meeting officials of the SoHBAC business advisory centre based in the Market Place and walking through the town centre where crowds gathered; he later attended an evening function for business leaders aboard the royal train, which was parked in Brigg railway station. Closure of the Lincolnshire & South Humberside Times weekly newspaper which had offices at 57 Wrawby Street, Brigg. Local punk band The Diseased was formed. Larry Arnolds off-licence opened, on Queen Street - closing in 2002 (information from Josie Webb). Broughton's Daisy Bus Service re-introduced the historic Ermine name for private hire and continental holiday services, visiting many countries, including Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Italy (information provided by Neil Simpson).
1986: Curry’s shop in the Market Place closed. Bob and Sue Nicholson acquired the Queen's Arms, on Wrawby Street, while Tony and Carolyn Sykes took over the Black Bull. Elsham signal box, alongside the level crossing, was made a grade two listed building.
1987: The New River Ancholme (Cake Mills) Bridge on Brigg's western boundary was made a grade two listed structure. Walker’s shoe shop closed, having been established in the 1700s (information from Josie Webb). Dr Frank Henthorn’s book A History of 19th Century Brigg was published. Elsham Wold Industrial Estate was opened by Glanford Borough Council.
1988: Lady Diana - The Princess of Wales - visited Brigg and unveiled a plaque to mark the launch of the town's Regeneration Project; Lady Diana toured the Falcon Cycles factory (opening an extension) and planted a riverside tree near the County Bridge. Brigg Town Council presented an award to the Exchange Coach House Hotel (Raffles) for careful and sympathetic restoration of the town's only grade two star listed building, under the direction of Master Builder Bruce Finch. Briggate Lodge Hotel, Broughton, opened to the public. Instones grocery shop/deli closed on Wrawby Street.
1989: New Brigg Library opened on Old Courts Road. The distinctive red telephone kiosk in the Market Place was given grade two listed status; the K6 cast iron example had been designed in 1935 by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott. Following closure, the contents of the closed Angel Hotel were auctioned at the nearby Corn Exchange. Yarborough Mills, beside the New River Ancholme, was damaged by fire. The Barn Theatre/Restaurant was introduced at Elsham Hall Country Park. Brigg Town Cricket Club rejoined the Lincolnshire League, having won the Humberside Alliance championship in the previous two seasons.
1990: Brigg Civic Society was founded and Brigg District Lions' Beer Festival was established. Sgt Robin Triffitt - known in Brigg pubs as The Laughing Policeman - retired from Humberside Police. Joe Mullen, owner of the Exchange, later erected a plaque in the courtyard to remember Robin's own brand of community policing, and Rex Howson produced a statue of the officer (still evident today). The clock on top of the Buttercross was taken away to be refurbished as part of the Brigg Regeneration Project.
1991: Lady Diana – the Princess of Wales – made her second visit to Brigg, marking the success of the Regeneration Project, which included refurbishment of the Buttercross. The pending closure of Brigg Sugar Factory was announced (bagging continued after processing had ceased). Glanford Hospital closed and was later converted into health offices. Glanford Leisure Centre’s Sports Hall was opened by Coun Terry Atherton, the Mayor of Glanford, on January 21. Refurbishment of Chapel Court (shops and housing) in Brigg town centre completed by John Rowbottom.
1992: Brigg Corn Exchange was closed by Glanford Borough Council; a multi-named petition was organised to try and save the venue and among those who signed was Pat Roach, the famous wrestler and actor in James Bond and Indiana Jones films, when he performed in the ring during a wrestling show at the venue. The first Brigg Bike Night ws held in the town centre. Coun Tom Glossop served his second term as Brigg Town Mayor and was succeeded by his son, Tony. The Brocklesby Ox pub, on Bridge Street, was refurbished. The lowest point was reached by Brigg Horse Fair with only a handful of dealers and animals present. Target Skysports moved to Hibaldstow airfield.
1993: Brigg town centre was pedestrianised following the completion of an inner by-pass re-routing through traffic on the A18. Elsham railway station was closed by British Rail. Passenger trains along the Brigg line between Sheffield and Cleethorpes were reduced to Saturdays only - three in each direction. Glanford Brigg Power Station opened at Scawby Brook. Brigg's Paul McCullagh first played in the Football League for Scunthorpe United during the 1992/93 season.
1994: Demolition of Brigg Corn Exchange by Glanford Borough Council. S. Mundey Butchers opened in the town centre. Brigg accountants and advisers, TurnerWarran, were founded.
1995: Michael Heath, a solicitor who had played football and cricket for local teams and lived in Brigg, was appointed a judge. Brigg Town Council’s Angel Suite opened.
1996: Brigg Town Football Club - managed by 'Raz' Clayton - won the FA Carling Vase, beating Clitheroe 3-0 at Wembley stadium in the final. North Lincolnshire Council was created (with some offices in Brigg) and Beverley-based Humberside County Council was disbanded. Refurbishment of the Wrawby Street courtyard leading to St John’s Church was completed.
1997: Ian Cawsey, the former leader of North Lincolnshire Council, was elected MP for Brigg & Goole, establishing an office at 7 Market Place. Brigg Music Club was created to encourage young performers. Tom Wood’s brewery at Melton Ross, and the Brigg Brewing Company in the town, were both established. Broughton's Daisy Bus company closed.
1998: Footballer Richard Huxford, from the Brigg area, made his Scottish Premier League debut; he had also played for Bradford City in England's top flight. David Yelland, who was educated at Sir John Nelthorpe School between 1976 and 1981, became editor of top-selling national newspaper The Sun.
1999: The new Tesco store in Brigg opened - built on the former stockmarket site. Brigg pubs were packed on December 31 as townsfolk said farewell to one millennium and welcomed another. Coun Adele Tasker’s year as Brigg Town Mayor spanned both eras. Brigg's Matt Sparrow, a former pupil of Sir John Nelthorpe School, made his Scunthorpe United debut, going on to play well over 300 times for the Iron and almost 450 matches in the Football League.
2000: Family businesses Turner's butchers, on Queen Street, and Shaw’s outfitters, in the Market Place, both closed. Brigg Netball Club was established. The new Bengal Spice eatery, on Wrawby Street, was opened by the Mayor of North Lincolnshire, Coun Mick Todd. The Scunthorpe Evening Telegraph produced a 32-page special publication about Brigg to mark the new millennium and record events from the previous one. Falcon Cycles, with a factory in Brigg, was ranked second in the UK market. Brigg Netball Club was established. The first Brigg Farmers’ Market was held by North Lincolnshire Council - immediately proving popular.
2001: Brigg Town FC battled through all the qualifying stages to reach the first round proper of the FA Cup but lost 4-1 away to Football League club Tranmere Rovers. Restaurateur Simon Ho launched the Simon's Fried Chicken fast food outlet opposite his China Royal on Bridge Street. Brigg’s population just topped 5,000 in the 2001 census. Barnetby railway station received a huge new passenger footbridge spanning the tracks.
2002: The first of its kind in Brigg, the licensed Fish Inn Restaurant opened in what had been the Queens Arms pub, on Wrawby Street, meaning customers could have a pint with their plaice. Le Raj Restaurant also opened. Le Raj Restaurant opened in the town centre. Brigg resident and mobile caterer Bob Kelly's Black Country Chips proved popular in the town. The final grass pitch home match was played by Brigg Men's Hockey Club at the Recreation Ground, completing a switch to synthetic surfaces which had started in the 1980s. Myles and Mary Scanlon retired from the Nelthorpe Arms after 36 years. The Wishing Well pub at Worlaby closed.
2003: Brigg Town FC won the FA Vase for the second time, defeated Sudbury in the final at West Ham’s Upton Park ground in London. Peter Bell produced an acclaimed book celebrating the 100th anniversary of Brigg Amateur Operatic Society. The Brigg Amateur Social Historians group (BASH) was founded. Ancholme Rowing Club completed its new boathouse adjoining the old river, off Manley Gardens. The Brigg school meals canteen on Colton Street closed.
2004: The 800th Anniversary of Brigg Fair was celebrated with a community event opened by Grand National-winning jockey Bob Champion on August 5th (information from Josie Webb) while Tiff Needell, presenter of TV motoring programmes, visited the Brigg Classic Car Rally. The Beauty Clinique established a salon in the former Turner's butcher’s shop on Queen Street. Brigg Town cricketer Paul Taylor took all 10 wickets in a North Lindsey League Sunday fixture at the Recreation Ground - a club record. Brigg-born Lady Olivier (actress Joan Plowright) was made a Dame. Brigg Ghost Walks started on Halloween - organised by BASH (date supplied by Josie Webb). Tierney's confectionery shop closed on Wrawby Street, while Brigg Garden Centre opened on Bigby High Road. Pipers Crisps (Elsham) was established by local farmers. Permission was granted to demolish the Horse & Cart pub at Scawby Brook to make way for redevelopment.
2005: Father Owain Mitchell was appointed Vicar of Brigg, Wrawby and Cadney-cum-Howsham. The Yarborough Hunt pub reopened. Brigg Netball Club went on tour to Barbados. The Design Orchard shop opened in Brigg town centre. Brigg Rotary Club celebrated the 100th anniversary of Rotary International by presenting the original Buttercross tower bell to the town, put on display near the building in the Market Place. Grasby won the Calor Gas best-kept village award for central England.
2006: North Lincolnshire Council declared the Glebe Road School site "surplus to requirements" and requested senior officers to look at the future of the land "with the aim of development to gain a capital receipt." The Hall Farm Park visitor attraction launched in South Kelsey. Brigg’s Kennedi Boutique opened, as did the Fun Forest children’s indoor adventure centre.
2007: The historic Brocklesby Ox pub closed on Bridge Street. Foxton Way was named in honour of former town GP Dr John Foxton. Glebe Road School closed and a replacement primary was established on Atherton Way. The Brigg Photolabs shop closed on Wrawby Street. Brigg Civic Society was wound up at a special general meeting; it had been responsible for the Bandstand being erected in the Market Place and furnished new black and gold street signs in the town centre. Brigg Blog launched on October 8. John Rhodes published his fine book A Yeller-Belly Boyhood about growing up in Brigg during the 1930s and 1940s.
2008: The distinctive former Shoefayre building on Wrawby Street was converted into Cooplands bakery shop. The former Kwik Save store on Cary Lane was placed on the property market, reopening as Wilkinson's in May. That month also saw the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight's Lancaster, Spitfire and Hurricane make a memorable flypast to mark Brigg Amateur Social Historians’ 1940s Night at the Servicemen's Club. Famous actress Wendy Craig opened Golden Living's Ancholme Mews development. Althams Travel moved to new premises on Wrawby Street and held a grand opening. People in the Brigg area felt the effects of an earthquake centred near Market Rasen in the early hours of February 27.
2009: Brigg was voted the Best Rural Farmers’ Market in the UK. Surviving buildings from Pingley Camp, the former Second World War prisoner-of-war facility off Bigby High Road, were demolished, although some of the contents were taken away to be displayed at a heritage attraction in the north-east. Brigg Preparatory School, on Bigby Street, closed.
2010: The historic Dying Gladiator pub - having been closed for some time and boarded up - was acquired by a local businessman, refurbished and reopened. The Brocklesby Ox, on Bridge Street, was demolished with town houses later built on the site. Heavy snow fell during late November and early December with the River Ancholme iced over for a time. Andrew Percy was elected MP for Brigg & Goole. Demeter House School opened on the former Prep School site.
2011: Tom Glossop was installed as the first Freeman of Brigg - rewarding decades of service to the town. Brian Taylor, a school governor in Brigg, was awarded the MBE. Barnetby United FC held 75th anniversary celebrations. Brigg’s census population exceeded 5,600. Natalie Sankey opened an old fashioned sweet shop in Brigg town centre, selling ‘goodies’ from jars – bringing back childhood memories for many local folk.
2012: The Olympic Torch was carried through Brigg and Wrawby. Brigg Heritage Centre opened in the Angel building. Queen Elizabeth's Diamond Jubilee was celebrated with a wide range of community events in the town centre and an afternoon fete at Brigg Recreation Ground, which Her Majesty had visited in 1977. The Ancholme Inn closed and was later demolished to make way for a housing development off Grammar School Road. Tesco renewed planning permission to build a new and larger store in Brigg but did not proceed with the scheme. Brigg Servicemen's FC won the Hett Cup (re-introduced for the first time since 1967). Boyes came to town, establishing its 43rd UK store on Old Courts Road. The Cafe Courtyard eatery opened near the entrance to the Angel building, off the Market Place. Former Brigg Grammar School pupil Professor Alexander (Sandy) Trees was made a life peer (Baron Trees).
2013: Lidl launched its new purpose-built store, off Atherton Way, having relocated from its former premises near Springs Parade. The prehistoric Brigg Raft was installed as the star exhibit at the town’s Heritage Centre. Andrew Percy MP officially opened phrase two of the Centre.
2014: Famous actor Brian Blessed visited Brigg, where his family had lived in the 19th century, to film a TV family history programme. The Kar Restaurant, on Old Courts Road, closed. The Keyo Brigg Bomber Quadrathlon Championships brought competitors to the town from far and wide. It was followed later in the year by the Brigg Poppy 10k and Military Challenge. Glanford Boat Club hosted an enjoyable regatta. National retailer Poundstretcher closed its Brigg shop. Brigg Angels Women’s Institute was founded.
2015: Wetherspoon's reopened the White Horse, Brigg, after acquiring the property and undertaking extensive refurbishment, displaying interesting old photographs of the town on some of the interior walls. Landlord Phil Clipson retired from the Britannia Inn and Jeanette Woollard from her post as Clerk to Brigg Town Council - both being long-servers. Brigg Bike Night, in July, was re-introduced after a gap of some years. The Mumbai Lounge Indian restaurant launched on Old Courts Road in premises previously occupied by Harry Kar’s Chinese eatery. Shipley’s CuriosiTeas shop opened on Wrawby Street.
2016: B & M (Bargain Madness) opened in the riverside store store near Springs Parade. Many Brigg people visited Elsham to watch legendary loco Flying Scotsman pass through hauling a special passenger train. Brigg's Black Bull pub was relaunched as Dexters Ale House & Kitchen. The Monument war memorial was afforded grade two listed status. The Brigg Renewable Energy Plant opened on the old sugar factory site at Scawby Brook, providing 'green electricity' made rom plant material.
2017: Andrew Percy MP officially re-opened the new-look Recreation Ground, following major investment by North Lincolnshire Council. Brigg's Coun Rob Waltham - the leader of North Lincolnshire Council - was awarded the MBE. White Horse Football Club - a top local team in the 1970s and 1980s - held a nostalgic reunion at the Wrawby Street hostelry that had been its HQ. Brigg Hockey Club reached the final of top national tournament, the English Men's Vase, losing 3-1 in London. North Lincolnshire hosted a stage of the OVO Energy Tour of Britain cycling race for the first time and many spectators turned out in Brigg to watch the riders whiz past. A commemorative hockey match was arranged as solicitor Steve Baggott started his 50th playing season with the Brigg club.
2018: The Nelthorpe Arms pub served into last pints before closure and conversion to purely residential use. Lee Fielden managed Barnetby United for the 500th time, with College Wanderers providing the opposition. The so-called Beast from the East brought heavy snow. A new Stables Bar opened at the Dying Gladiator, while the Black Bull relaunched under new owners following refurbishment - reverting to its original name. Princess Anne officially opened the new Vale Academy, off Atherton Way. The first phase of Brigg Marina, providing holiday homes off Mill Lane, was completed.
2019: The temperature topped 90F on July 25 during a heatwave. Brigg installed eight new Freemen for services to the town - Ian Cawsey (former MP), Andrew Percy (sitting MP), Tony Parker and his sister Jennifer Parker, 100-year-old Hughie Markham (the town's former fire chief), Pam Braithwaite, Jean Neall and Chris Darlington. Sir John Nelthorpe School celebrated the 350th anniversary of education in the town; it wound back the clock by staging a fun run using the original Grammar School course along Brickyard Lane, Wrawby. Celebrations were held to mark the 200th anniversary of the Buttercross. Long-established Brigg electrical goods business Spencer Molloy closed on Cary Lane.