Wednesday, July 17, 2013

RIVER HUMBER CHARITY SWIM BY BRIGG MAN


A Brigg man is to undertake the testing Humber Swim from Spurn Point to Cleethorpes Leisure Centre in September. Amber Smith, of the Black Bull, kindly informed Brigg Blog that Mark Bird was planning this notable endurance test, and we asked him to supply full details.

BY MARK BIRD

What a busy few days I've had with Pete Winchester's 69th Humber Swim over the weekend. Pete is the most prolific Humber swimmer of all time and now the oldest to cross at the widest part. I'm happy he continues to be a good friend and mentor for my future exploits on the river.
My wife Wendy and I are keen fund-raisers for Macmillan locally and support the local fundraising team when ever possible with spring and Xmas fairs in Scawby or collecting in Tesco, as and when required. We also tend to host the gathering of the ladies' meetings in our house in Brigg. I tend to have a more domestic role (tea coffee and cake) in this, as well as carrying out risk assessments for the events.
I decided last year, being a keen lifelong swimmer, that I'd like to have a bash at the Humber Swim. The swim is something of an institution in my native Grimsby with the Xmas morning dip in the dock being featured in the Telegraph every year. I got in touch with Pete, and expressed an interest. Since that time I have been a weekly visitor to the dock through out the year including the coldest months. I have a long history in sailing swimming scuba diving and generally a lover of the sea and water.
I have happily swam upto 5k in the Ancholme Leisure Centre pool over recent years but always longed for a different challenge so here it is.....
On the 7th September this year I'm proposing to swim from Spurn Point to Cleethorpes Leisure Centre - by means of the anchorage along the outer edge of the river. It is reckoned the distance is something around ten miles given the track over ground is never a straight line due to tides and weather; certainly on Pete's swim last week a distance of 12 miles was recorded to get him safely on the Lincolnshire sand again.
Coupled with the personal ambition, I am raising funds for Macmillan to give my swim a useful purpose, not that I feel it needs one, and am looking to raise £1,000. This should pay for a nurse for a full week to help cancer sufferers and their families in what can be only described as the most difficult times in a person's life. I am very passionate about the cause, having lost my father some six years back to cancer and realising only too well what is associated with this terrible illness.
It is hoped on the day of the swim I can manage to organise a big boat as well as my small cover boat so friends relatives and well wishers can have a day out on the river, too, in relative comfort and not only offer moral support but also view what is a beautiful and much unvisited part of out Lincolnshire coastline. Hopefully the sun will shine and the sea kind for my efforts.
There is much to be done and many people to inform of my intentions, not least Coast guard, RNLI and VTS Humber, these are the people who organise the shipping traffic movements on the river itself, a bit like air traffic control for ships. The weather will have the final say but all being well at approximately 13:45 I will enter the water and make an attempt on reaching my native Yellowbelly shores once more.
Following the swim, Wendy has organised a gathering in Amber and Rick's Black Bull. Amber and Rick are to be congratulated as they have offered some food for the visitors attending the night. Amber herself, of course, lost her mum recently to cancer so is also an avid supporter.
Peter remains very active in his involvement and has much experience in the dealings of the aforementioned organisations. Further to this he is my mentor on the physical aspects of the swim and I'd say one of my attempts most passionate supporters. Pete is 72 now and feels his time is short with regard to the river swimming. I am very keen to ensure the Humber swim does not die out and will be keen to take on Pete's role in organising swims for suitably trained individuals to attempt a crossing particularly if they can also raise funds for charities along the way.

SPONSOR MARK AND FIND OUT MORE THROUGH this link

If you prefer, you can complete a "paper" sponsor form by asking mine hosts at the Black Bull or any of their staff.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

The web address page for fundraising for the swim is www.justgiving.com/mark-bird1965
Thank you.

Unknown said...

Thank you for supporting my efforts to raise funds for Macmillan cancer care.

Ken Harrison said...

Good luck, Mark.

Having sailed round that area, I know that there are some strange currents and rip tides during certain times of the tides' cycle.
I assume that you will be swimming across the dredged channels at low/slack water....
One safety issue - the supporting boats should be flying a warning rigid 'A' flag - a blue/white flag indicating that there is a diver (swimmer) in the water.

Unknown said...

Thanks Ken,
Yes,you are correct on all points. I will leave Spurn in the slack water shortly after confirmation the ebb is done( @Spurn light float). All support vessels will display flag Alfa indicating to all vessels -vessel/persons engaged in diving operations reduce speed, pass at distance. VTS also issue bulletins on notice to mariners and to all moving shipping in or out of the river regarding the swim and its current location. Last weeks swim went very well with even the small Turbine crew vessels altering course and slowing enough to give us a cheery wave whilst passing at distance.....

Ken Harrison said...

Put me down for a tenner...I'll leave it with Amber.