Did this street name in Brigg once have a different spelling?
Brigg Blog has been re-reading The Courts and Yards of Brigg - an excellent local history book published during the early 1980s.
There are a number of documentary references within to CAREY Lane.
Yet, as our recent picture shows, it is CARY Lane on the street signs and on the board fixed to North Lincolnshire Council's public conveniences near the Wilko store.
The Brigg book reproduces ORIGINAL pages from a catalogue of Elwes property offered for sale in Brigg during 1919.
The catalogue employs Carey Lane with an 'e' in every instance.
Were these uncorrected errors almost 100 years ago, not spotted at the time the catalogue was printed?
Or was Carey, rather than Cary, the spelling then in use on the street signs?
We don't have the answer, but someone may know.
The book reveals that this street off the Market Place was renamed in 1869 by the Local Board (forerunner of the Urban District Council).
Earlier in the 19th century it had been known as Hett's Lane and also Nicholson's Lane.
The Courts and Yards of Brigg suggests the choice of name in 1869 reflected a desire to recognise the status of the Carey-Elwes family "as major landowners in the town."
At the same time, the Butchery became Elwes Street.
But an internet search we've just made reveals a host of references to Cary (no 'e') going back in history.
Cary Elwes - “The King of Brigg” - organised, around 1752, the construction of brick houses more sturdy than the old ones of timber filled in with clay that had gone before, one source suggests.
Another Brigg street for which there have been differences in spelling from time to time is Forrester Street/Forester Street.
'R' you favouring the former or the latter?
PICTURED: The current Cary Lane sign on the side of No 7 Market Place.