Thursday, May 18, 2017

THE HOUSE MARTINS PROVIDED FREE ENTERTAINMENT IN BRIGG - WORTH A TWEET?

Brigg Blog's recent post about the return of swooping swifts to our town after their long flight from Africa interested Cliff Turner, down-under in New Zealand.
Cliff - now in his 90s - grew up in Brigg during the 1930s.
He kindly emailed to say:  "Lovely picture of a swift. I used to watch them nesting on the old clinic opposite our house in Princes St. Later after moving to Redcombe I would see house martins on a house at the corner of Grammar School Rd. Swallows nested every year in my granddad’s pig sty in his garden off Wrawby Rd. Until I got too big I used to be lifted up to see the eggs. When we came to Hamilton there were no swallows and I was excited to see one up in the north; they have now spread to Hamilton. The species we have closely resembles the British migrant."




No comments: