Monday, November 05, 2018

BRIGG TIMELINE CREATES INTEREST DOWN-UNDER


Now in his 90s, former Brigg resident Cliff Turner has been in touch following the launch of our Timeline listing notable dates in the town's history.
Cliff, who lives in New Zealand and follows our blog online, was interested to read our potted history of Brigg, although he noted that we omitted a certain business on Queen Street.
By that we think he means the family concern, Turner's -  renowned pork butchers for many decades.
Cliff adds: "You had David Quibell as Brigg's MP in the early twenties but he did not become so until later."
Cliff can  still recall the General Election held in 1935, and once met the MP at the home of butcher Freddie Waters.
David Quibell eventually became Lord Quibell, marking his public service.
Cliff was also interested in our Timeline's reference to the River Ancholme's new cut.
He says: "It must have been a huge job in a sparsely inhabited area and in those far off days it is unlikely that there was sufficient  water-borne trade to justify it. Perhaps the main object was to drain the land. There was still lots of trade on the river in my boyhood. Barges came to the Yarborough Oil Mills, coal to the gas works and petrol for storage tanks close to the Oil Mills Bridge.
"Do you know when the locks at Ferriby were built?"
Can anyone answer Cliff's question?
Cliff Turner's memories of growing up in Brigg during the 1930s and 1940s, and his interesting working life, including years at sea, featured in a Brigg Blog series a couple of years ago. Above we see Cliff as a young man. Read some of his memories here...

Another former Brigg resident has commented on our Timeline's reference to the famous Brigg boat in the 19th century.
He tells us: "In 1886 Mr Justice Chitty, sitting in the Chancery Division of the High Court of Justice in London, ruled that a pre-historic longboat discovered six feet below the surface of land being excavated by the Brigg Gas Company was the legal property of the Elwes family who owned the land and not the gas company which claimed ownership of the boat."

1 comment:

emilynia said...


I made a promise to tell my testimony all over the globe once my man come back to me and my husband came just as DR ben told me when he helped me. I made the right choice to have contacted DR ben the great spell caster who is capable of helping you solve your problems. My man left me to suffer and i never believed that he will come back to me again but when i contacted DR ben he assured me that my man will come again. he gave me some list of items to buy but i could not get them in my country and so i sent him the money and he bought the items and prepared the perfect love spell. My husband ran back to me in 3 days time begging for forgiveness THIS IS SO REAL AND GENUINE. I was so surprise that the spell worked just as he told me. This is so amazing and i want you to believe because DR ben is so real and i urge you contact him now on his email so that he can also help you the way he helped me. email is; drbenspellcaster@gmail.com and you can also contact him with his phone Call & WhatsApp;+2348151642717...