Saturday, December 21, 2019

WHEN BRIGG TRADERS FIRST ORGANISED CHRISTMAS TREE LIGHTING


Brigg Town Council can take pride in the fact that it continues to provide Christmas lights while many other local authorities in the UK long since gave up offering illuminations because of the expense, time and trouble involved.
Today we have lights on various streets and a centrepiece Christmas tree in the Market Place. Some businesses have also chosen to display smaller illuminated trees on their frontages - Wallhead's having THREE.
But when did the town first see an organised scheme to put illuminated Christmas trees on shop premises?
The answer is 1963, when keen members of Brigg Chamber of Trade put a scheme in place, having admired what was being done in some other northern towns.
Edward Dodd mentioned this in his 1973 book Brigg and went on to reveal how the shops' Christmas trees that year were hit by "the energy crisis" resulting from a strike affecting electricity generation.
The government introduced severe restrictions on illuminations in 1973/4 which stopped Brigg's Christmas tree lighting scheme going ahead, despite the trees being "earmarked" and a local electrical contractor having workers "ready to move in and start wiring up."
However, local businesses would not be beaten and did their level best to make the inside of their premises as attractive as possible.
"The assistants rose to the challenge and shoppers reported an even more cheery reception than usual," Ted explained.
"People refused to be intimidated by the crisis and went on a spending spree.
"It could have been that an accompanying petrol shortage restricted travelling but the fact remains that in the majority of cases the tills totted up record takings."
The unusual picture above was taken by Bryan Robins in 1964 and shows some of the illuminated Christmas trees then being displayed by shops at the eastern end of Wrawby Street.


Christmas lights after dark on Bridge Street, Brigg - December 2019.

3 comments:

William Annie said...

i want to testify about the great spell caster called Dr Azuka my husband and i have been married for 5 years now we don't have a child and the doctor told us i can't give birth because my womb have been damaged due to wrong drugs prescription this got me so worried and my husband was not happy so he decided to get married to another girl and divorce me i was so sad i told my friend about it she told me about a powerful spell caster she gave me his email address well i never believe in it that much though i just decided to give him a try and he told me it will take 24hrs to get my husband back to me and i will get pregnant i doubted him the 3rd day my husband came back to me and was crying he said he didn't want the divorce anymore 3 weeks after the doctor confirmed that i was pregnant he can also help you contact him via email: Dr.azukasolutionhome@gmail.com What’s app or call: +44 7520 636249‬



robetharmonton said...

I was diagnosed of herpes virus, I have tried all possible means to get cure but all my effort proved abortive, until a friend of mine introduced me to a herbal doctor called Dr Agaba, who prepare herbal medicine to cure all kind of diseases including herpes virus (Herpes), when i contacted this herbal doctor via email, he sent me herpes virus herbal medicine via courier service, when i received the herbal medicine he gave me step by step instructions on how to apply it, when i applied it as instructed i was totally cured from the virus within 3 weeks of usage. Contact this great herbal doctor today to get your cure. 
Via Email: Dragabasolutionhome@gmail.com or WhatApp: +2349074536486

Unknown said...

Happiness is all i see now I never thought that I will be cured from HERPES virus again. I have been suffering from a deadly disease (HERPES) for the past 3 years now, I had spent a lot of msearching through the internet, I saw a testimony on how DR agaba helped someone in curing his HERPES disease, quickly I copied his email which is Dragabasolutionhome@gmail.com just to give him a test I spoke to him, he asked me to do some certain things which I did, he told me that he is going to provide the herbal cure to me, which he did, then he asked me to go for medical checkup after some days after using the herbal cure, behold I was free from the deadly disease, he only asked me to post the testimony through the whole world, faithfully am doing it now, please brothers and sisters, he is great, I owe him in return. if you are having a similar problem just email him on : Dragabasolutionhome@gmail.com oney going from one places to another, from churches to churches, hospitals have been my home every day residence. Constant checks up have been my hobby not until this faithful day, I was or WhatApp: +2349074536486