Sunday, November 03, 2019


Football teams from Brigg and district had a mixed day on Saturday (November 2).
In Toolstation Northern Counties East Division One, Brigg Town lost 2-1 on their visit to league leaders Skegness Town.
Skeggy took an early lead which was cancelled out by a goal from Stuart Longbone.  However, the home side managed a late winner.
Brigg Town Reserves enjoyed a 2-1 home win over Cleethorpes Town Reserves at the EC Stadium (Hawthorns) in the Balcan Lighting Supplies Lincolnshire League Premier.
Barnetby United were beaten 2-0 at Crowland Town in the Lincolnshire Junior Cup second round. Match pictures here and report below from Barnetby's Lee Fielden.
In EC Surfacing Ltd Scunthorpe & District Football League Division Two, Briggensians beat Santon 4-3 at Brigg Recreation Ground. Jamie Craigie scored twice for Briggensians, with further goals coming from Owen Dunderdale and Matthew Callaway.


Crowland Town deservedly booked their place in the 3rd round of the Junior Cup with a 2-0 victory over the Railwaymen.
They started much the brighter and could have been 3-0 up in the opening 15 minutes but the linesman's flag and inspired goal keeping by Nick Dobbs kept the score level.
Barnetby gradually fought their way into the game as the effects of the two-hour, 76-mile bus journey wore off. Shaun Clark's pile-driver was blocked and from the rebound Alex Green's effort warmed the hands of Town's keeper.
They had the ball in the net moments later but the effort was ruled out for a push.
0-0 at the interval but Barnetby never got going from the restart, their normally solid defence looked shaky and if not for the inspired Dobbs would have been out of the game.
The pivotal moment came on 70 minutes. Shaun Clark was brought down on the halfway line and Barnetby were complaining for an advantage to be played. The ref saw it a different way, though, and awarded Crowland the free kick. The ball was hoisted high into the Barnetby box and Corban Oldham was given the freedom of Crowland to lash his side 1-0 up.
That was soon 2-0 as Oldham grabbed his second, and try as they might The Railwaymen could not get back into the game. Thirkell had a couple of attempts blocked but Crowland held firm to seal a well deserved victory and a safe passage into round 3.

Barnetby United at Crowland.

Supporting Barnetby

No comments: