Sunday, April 29, 2018

ON THE RIGHT LINES: LISTED BUILDING IN BRIGG AREA TO SEE IMPROVEMENTS


North Lincolnshire Council's many and varied duties include, as the local planning authority, keeping an eye on listed buildings in the Brigg area and beyond.
These are not only 18th and 19th century brick-built properties within our town centre but structures like the County Bridge and even some railway relics.
In the latter category is the wooden signal box beside Elsham level crossing.
In the April/May issue of the Brigg & Wolds Ward Newsletter In Touch from Conservative MP Andrew Percy, Coun Rob Waltham and Couns Nigel & Carl Sherwood, the following appears under the heading Elsham Signal Box Improvements:
"Following contact from local residents, your local team have managed to secure improvements to the listed property that sites within Wrawby parish. Work is set to start shortly and will be funded by Network Rail who actually own the site."
Some traditional signal boxes were taken out of use a few years ago with Network Rail instead controlling trains from a signalling centre in York.
Those shut included the 137-lever Wrawby Junction box - also grade two listed - which was just a few months short of reaching 100 years' faithful service.
Elsham signal box was listed in 1986. It had been erected in 1885 for the Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway and is on the line between Barnetby and Scunthorpe.
Nearby Elsham railway station was closed to passengers during the early 1990s.
Read more about the box and why it was listed through this link...
Also  made surplus to requirements by the new signalling system was the sizeable Barnetby East box, off Kings Road - not far from the village railway station.
One suggestion was it might be dismantled and moved to one of the popular heritage lines.
But it's still in the spot it has occupied since the early 20th century.
The signal box beside Appleby level crossing is also listed but Brigg's - on Bigby High Road - is not. They are of similar design.
One in Hibaldstow parish - Kirton Lime Sidings, off Gainsthorpe Road - is also has grade two status. It's a very tall box, of rare design.
The last time we took a close up look at Elsham signal box was in June 2016 while waiting, with many other people from the Brigg area, for world famous loco Flying Scotsman to steam by at the head of a special train. More through this link...
Here are a few pictures featuring Elsham box and station down the years.




Inside Elsham signal box during the early 1970s.

3 comments:

Ken Harrison said...

.....even the telephone box in the Market Place is a Listed structure.
I've made various suggestions to various officials that Briggs signal box is Listed....but my suggestions have not initiated any interest...
One of my arguments is that the wooden signal box is our Wrawby windmill of tomorrow.
Meanwhile, responses seem to imply out quaint little town of Brigg can afford to lose a quaint little building...

Ken Harrison said...

Since I am unable to comment on the Nelthorpe posting above, I'm rather puzzled why a Planning Application in 2014 was sought and approved to convert the ancillary outbuildings to offices and research unit was never pursued.
Perhaps someone could offer clarity why it never materialised b4 approving the present application.

Spell Home said...

Get your lover back urgent effective love spell to win and get ex back my advise reveal you all to contact Dr Ogudugu for a genuine love spell on greatogudugu@gmail.com that work fast. here is my relationship story, i'm MaryJane born in Williamsburg,Virginia Usa..my boyfriend told me it was over and walk away without any reasons, I was confuse and didn't know what to do. I was desperate, I want him back, I went over the internet looking for ways to get my boyfriend back. I read about many different ways of how to get ex back, but Dr Ogudugu caught my attention. I immediately contacted him and explained my problem to him. It was amazing and surprising that 11hrs after the urgent love spell was cast, my boyfriend called me and was begging me to forgive him and accept him back, Couldn't believe, but later after he came to my house and fell on his knees asking me to take him back am so happy that my love is back again. I am testifying on this forum just to let people know that Dr Ogudugu is real and genuine. don't hesitate to try him out. thank you Dr Ogudugu you are truly talented and gifted genuine spell caster. Contact him now if you need your girlfriend/boyfriend back or your girlfriend moved on to another man, do not cry anymore .. Dr Ogudugu is here to help out in relationship problem coz problem share is problem solve.
Email him at.... greatogudugu@gmail.com
whatsapp...+27663492930