Tuesday, January 09, 2018


Sweet success has come the way of a football historian from the Brigg area who has unearthed evidence to show that Brigg Town FC are not alone when it comes to playing  in the world famous FA Cup.
Lee Fielden, of Barnetby Football Club, and a former Brigg Town Cricket Club batsman of note, has a copy of a football album produced by the Grimsby and Scunthorpe Telegraphs listing the draw for the world famous knockout competition in 1934-35.
Among teams taking part was Brigg Sugar Factory, who drew Louth Town in the first qualifying round of the English Cup.
That was only a few years after the facility - a major local employer - opened to process its first beet from local farms.
Brigg Town were drawn away to Selby in the preliminary round.
Other local teams involved in the early stages of that year's competition were Barton Town, Frodingham & Appleby Athletic, and Lysaght's Sports (Scunthorpe).
Scunthorpe United, who did not join the Football League until 1950, were then playing in the Midland League, meaning that they did not have to take part until the fourth qualifying round.
Enjoying their zenith, Grimsby Town were in football's top flight, Division One, equivalent to today's Premiership, and therefore only joined in the third round proper.
That rule still applies today.
Scunthorpe United made it through to the first round proper in 1934/35, only to lose 7-0 away to Coventry City.
In the third round, Grimsby lost 6-3 at Everton.
Grimsby reached the semi-final of the FA Cup for the only time in their history in March 1939, losing 5-0 to Wolves at Manchester United's Old Trafford ground.
The attendance of 76,962 established a new record for this famous venue.
Grimsby's England international keeper George Tweedy was unable to play because he had flu and the reserve goalie, George Moulson, was injured early in the semi-final.
There  were no substitutes in those days.
Founded in 1864 and one of the world's oldest surviving clubs, Brigg Town FC reached the first round proper of the FA Cup during November 2001, losing 4-1 away to Tranmere Rovers.
James Leech netted for the Zebras late in the game.
View full details here...

No comments: