Monday, April 15, 2019


Neil Johnson of sponsors Johnson's Transport Ltd presenting the victorious Briggensians captain Jason North with the Ironstone Cup - April 2019

This picture captures a proud moment for a Brigg footballer and his team based in the town.
Briggensians' captain Jason North is seen at the Hawthorns ground on Thursday night after the final of the Johnsons Transport Ironstone Cup, receiving the trophy from Neil Johnson, of the sponsors.
Older Brigg Blog followers will recall that Neil was a well-known player in the Brigg area for many years.
The final, in which Briggensians beat Barnetby United Reserves 4-2, attracted a crowd of 107.
Our thanks go to league fixture secretary Paul Birkitt for the presentation picture and the following match report...
Briggensians won the Johnson’s Transport Ironstone Cup Final by beating Barnetby United Reserves in a highly entertaining game at The Hawthorns.
Briggensians flew out of the traps and were 1-0 up after only 90 seconds when Robbie Leaning found himself unmarked at the far post to head in an easy chance.
They were 2-0 up after 9 minutes when Ben Lingard’s free kick from 25 yards hit the post and went in before Barnetby knew what had hit them.
The Railwaymen clawed their way back into the game and had the bulk of the play and chances but following a close offside call after 42 minutes Ben Lingard scored his second to make it 3-0.
Things when went from bad to worse for Barnetby on the brink of half-time when Ben Lingard grabbed his hat trick with his 31st goal of the season.
Trailing 4-0 at the break with nothing to lose in the 2nd half, Barnetby went for broke, dominating play but the ball would not find its way into the net.
Josh Goodman hit the right-hand post with a free kick and Brendan O’Callaghan the other post, and further chances were spurned.
With 67 minutes gone Barnetby’s luck finally changed as Josh Goodman finally broke through when his shot from the edge of the area found the back of the net to make it 4-1, and when Brendan O’Callaghan’s free kick on 77 minutes that evaded everyone to sail into the back of the net it was 4-2 and game on.
Barnetby threw the kitchen sink at Briggensians but Paul Neal and Jason North at the heart of their defence were resolute and manfully repelled each attack as they came.
The final whistle brought an end to a thoroughly entertaining final and thoughts of what might have been for Barnetby.

No comments: