Saturday, January 09, 2010

FEED THE BIRDS


Wildlife is suffering with the Old River Ancholme being frozen over - a sure sign of just how cold it is at present (see picture below of the icicles on the County Bridge). Fortunately for the ducks a small area of open water remains underneath the bridge. Many people like to feed the ducks from the railings near Lidl, particularly on Sunday mornings, and our feathered friends could certainly do with a few crumbs of comfort. Things looked pretty bleak in the Market Place early this morning, too, with a few hardy stallholders setting up shop but no sign customers when Brigg Blog recorded the scene. Still, the Market Place Christmas tree should feel at home in their conditions!









2 comments:

Ken Harrison said...

Shall I put my floating duck house on the Ancholme, Nige?
I originally bought it on me expenses, but I no longer need it!

Very good pixs.

I know that your a keen cricketeer, Nige and the blog contains lots of crickerty info...so why not re-title this blog - 'Out for a Duck' !

Ken Harrison said...

My old granny has started to knit the ducks some gloves.....but I've tried to explain to her that duckies have their own heat exchange system and that they can keep warm in this cold weather.
She doesn't believe that the ducks restrict the blood circulation to their legs and that they have a thermo-circulation thing that exchanges warm and cold blood before/after blood has circulated about their little legs.
Anyway, she wants to know, Nige, how many pink and blue gloves you need...and whether all the ducks have 2 legs.