Wednesday, April 15, 2020

BRIGG BLOG APPEALS FOR SHOP, PUB & BUSINESS PICTURES FROM THE PAST FOR OUR DATES TIMELINE PROJECT


Brigg Blog regrets that, in the latter half of the 20th century, we failed to photograph many shops, streets and buildings in the town, to provide a lasting record of how things used to be and how much has since changed.
Perhaps some of our followers today can help fill gaps in our archive, bearing in mind any copyright restrictions that might apply to the images.
Here's a list of some pictures we'd very much like to obtain for future use...
BRIDGE STREET: Gwen's Bargain Shop, Bell's furniture, Miss White's sweet shop, Harold Green's model shop, Happy Land (small housing development), terraced housing on Engine Street and Barnard Street, the Yarborough Hunt pre-1967 when it was still an ale house.
MONUMENT AREA: Sass's Garage and showroom, Cordock's shop, the Tintab shelter in its original form, Brigg Video (1980s).
WRAWBY STREET: Record Village, Ks Cafe, Foster's clothing, George Mason's and Instone's grocery stores, Pennell's, Richardson's newsagency, 'Goodie' Binns' sweet emporium, Morris's chippie, Jack Wattam's chippie, Woolworth's, the White Horse (pre-1990), Elwood's hardware shop, Lyne's Ropery, Bennett's toy shop, the Waters butchery business, Brigg Laundrette, Bakers Oven, W. H. Smith's newsagency, the Yorkshire Electricity showroom, Ma's Pantry/the Butchers Arms, Tierney's sweet shops (there were two on Wrawby Street at various times), Parker & Cladingbowl, The Little Shop, Wolds Florist, Addison's greengrocery, Watson's (butcher), Nairn Travel, Walker's and Shoefayre.
BIGBY STREET: The gas board showroom, the Dying Gladiator (pre-1990), Alcoves shop, O'Connor's newsagency, the Convent & School.
QUEEN STREET: Jackson-Shipley hardware, Larry Arnold's off-licence, Dent's (later Spa) convenience shop, Turner & Sons (butchers).
CONEY COURT: Neall's Central Cafe.
NEWLANDS ESTATE: Hewson's shop.
GRAMMAR SCHOOL ROAD: Ernie Robinson's shop (later Reid's), Jack Clark's school tuck shop; the Ancholme Inn (pre-1990), Bowen's bake house/shop, Mr Williamson's market garden.
MARKET PLACE: Shaw's outfitters, Binns store, Melia's grocery shop; the Angel Hotel & Wine Shop (pre-1980), Vic Gray's and Green's cafes, the Woolpack and Lord Nelson (pre-1990), Videorama, Varlow's, Smith-Parkinson motors/garage and Smith's ironmongery, Hounslow's.
GLEBE ROAD: The convenience shop when run by Mrs Gray, and the Co-op shop (building now occupied by the pre-school).
SPRINGS PARADE AREA: Jackson's/Grandways original supermarket & later when it became Safeway; also PaperLincs, Iceland and other businesses that occupied the Parade after its creation in the 1980s; the Laws 'pop' factory.
CARY LANE: Kiwk Save, Brigg Stockmarket.
HAWTHORN AVENUE AREA: The Woodbine Grove prefab estate, Brigg Town FC's Hawthorns ground (pre-2000).
ATKINSON AVENUE: Lilley's shop (1960s/70s).
ALBERT STREET: Capp's electrical business.
WRAWBY ROAD: The original Woodbine farmhouse - later used as groundsman's accommodation after it became the Recreation Ground, We are particularly keen to find pictures of the small shop on the side of the building, which sold refreshments.
ELWES STREET: White's lemonade factory, the Ancholme Gardens prefabs.
GENERAL: Any pre-2000 pictures showing the frontages of Brigg pubs, eateries and shops (or customers and members of staff inside). We are also hoping to find Brigg sports team pictures down the decades.
Please only send us pictures you know are NOT subject to commercial copyright.
Many thanks... and fingers crossed for a good response to our appeal.
We know many family collections in Brigg and district contain many, many pictures of interest to local people today.
Many of them have been scanned from prints into digital format. Are you willing to share some? Please email them to scoopfisher@aol.com
If you give Brigg Blog permission to use your pictures in future posts we will, of course, include your name by way of a credit, unless you wish to remain anonymous.
Any pictures received from this appeal will also help to illustrate our Brigg Dates Timeline project when we post an updated version, with many more entries, towards the end of 2020.

5 comments:

jacob mason said...

FINALLY FREE FROM HERPES VIRUSI thought my life had nothing to offer anymore because life became meaningless to me because I had herpes virus, the symptoms became very severe and bold and made my family run from and abandoned me so they won't get infected. I gave up everything, my hope, dreams,vision and job because the doctor told me there's no cure. I consumed so many drugs but they never cured me but hid the symptoms inside me making it worse. I was doing some research online someday when I came across testimonies of some people of how DR ADIGBA cured them from herpes, I never believed at first and thought it was a joke but later decided to contact him on the details provided and when I messaged him we talked and he sent me his herbal medicine and told me to go for a test after two weeks. Within 7 days of medication the symptoms disappeared and when I went for a test Lo and behold I was NEGATIVE by the Doctor Who tested me earlier. Thank you DR ADIGBA because I forever owe you my life and I'll keep on telling the world about you. If you are going through same situation worry no more and contact DR ADIGBA via dradigba@gmail. com or WhatsApp him via +2348077875210. he is good too to cure all type of disease and virus. 1 HIV cure 2 cancer 3 diabetes 4 hepatitis 5 herpes. You can contact if you are having any problem... 

Adamu Sandra said...

I never believed in life that I will be cured from herpes virus on till I found this great herbalist doctor called Dr Lucky with his herbs. my doctors said Herpes virus do not have medical cure because the virus is capable of hiding within the human cells, it remains protected from your immune system. Herpes isn’t a special virus – your immune system has the tools to fight it back. Cure your Herpes virus with affordable price. My doctor said there is no cure until i meet Dr Lucky This same doctor also cured my Aunty from hiv, as soon as i heard she had hepatitis, i quickly refer her to DR Lucky and she was cured too after drinking his herbs. I have referred more than 6 person to DR Lucky and they were all cured from their various illness. If you have this herpes virus I don’t think there is any need wasting money and time on medical treatment quickly contact this herbal doctor via email him; drluckyherbalcure@gmail.com Or whatsapp number; 2348154637647

Anonymous said...

I want to give a Testimony on how I got Cured From Herpes . 7 Months ago I was Diagnosed of Herpes. I was having some outbreaks. I went to see a Doctor and many Blood Tests was done on me. My Doctor told me that there’s no cure for Herpes Virus I felt bad, I went online searching for a possible cure for Herpes Virus, I saw a post of LUCKY A herbal doctor that cured someone from Herpes virus  I contacted him and told him how I’m feeling he said his herbal medicine can cure me. He sent me the medicine via Courier Service and I received the medicine some days after he sent it, i took the medicine as prescribed by him. Before the completion of the medication the symptoms stopped. I went to the Doctor and carried out another blood test, surprisingly I was Negative. I haven’t had any symptoms anymore, you can contact him Email address:_ drluckyherbalcure@gmail.com via WhatsApp; +2348154637647 !!    

Crystal Bennett said...

i was cured of HERPES VIRUS by a great herbal doctor called DR Lucky with the use of different combination of Africa herbs. it is still like a dream to me. There is no word suitable enough to qualify your significant in my life dear doctor. you too can contact him for any kind of cure on his Email 📧 (drluckyherbalcure@gmail.com) or Whatsapp (+2348154637647   

Mary joe said...

Thanks to Dr Oduman he cure me of Herpes virus few weeks back.Dr Oduman treat and cure so many disease and virus with his herbal medicine.like kidney, HIV,hepatitis b ,cancer, fibroid.diabetic herpes infection.aids .enlargement prostate.low sperm count ,pregnant problem. all can of disease and virus e.t c..email. Dr Oduman via.(doctorodman836@gmail.com)contract him now on WhatsApp +2347041258702