Friday, January 06, 2017

SUPERB NEW BRIGG SPORTS FACILITIES TO SEE FIRST GAMES THIS WEEKEND


Thirty years' wait will come to an end for men's, women's and junior sport in Brigg tomorrow.
A newly-laid all-weather floodlit hockey is to see its first games at the Recreation Ground on Saturday and Sunday, January 7 & 8.
Brigg Hockey Club's Men's 2nds will be in action tomorrow, the push-back coming at 2pm.
There will also be a veterans' game starting at 2pm on Sunday.
Back in the mid-1980s, Brigg hockey players began to visit away venues where new so-called Astro pitches were being installed
Brigg Rec had three impressive grass pitches but  it was recognised that there was a need to  move with the times.
So inquiries began with Glanford Borough Council and Humberside County Council about the possibility of getting an all-weather pitch for Brigg.
This campaign grew as many more people took an interest in watching and playing hockey, particularly youngsters, as extensive TV coverage was afforded to the progress of the Great Britain team in the 1988 Seoul Olympics.
Possible venues suggested over the years for a local all-weather pitch included the Recreation Ground, Sir John Nelthorpe School and the  Brigg Sugar Factory sportsground at Scawby Brook.
However, although all-weather floodlit facilities were provided at Quibell Park in Scunthorpe and at Winterton Comprehensive School, Brigg continued to miss out.
With very little grass hockey still being played in the leagues in which Brigg had teams, our local men's and ladies' teams had to stage home games outside the town, hiring hire existing all-weather venues as far away as Lincoln!
However, North Lincolnshire Council, to its great credit, has now tackled this long-standing problem and installed a wonderful facility  at the Rec.
Some of us who played hockey for Brigg back in the mid-to-late 1980s, through the 1990s and into the current millennium were beginning to wonder whether we would ever see hockey being played on an all-weather pitch in our town.
But that long, long wait will come to an end tomorrow.
We can't wait to see not only the "blue astro" pitch but also the super new changing rooms, which will also be used by t footballers, tennis fans and netballers in the months and years to come.
Why not pop down tomorrow and/or Sunday and take a look?
Neil Stapleton took the wonderful picture, above, from his drone, showing the new pitch in all its glory as it awaits the opening games this weekend.

3 comments:

Ken Harrison said...

I tried to take some pics while flying, Nige....but me take-off off was a little dicey...had reached Wrawby with me arms going like the clappers before me feet left the ground....and everytime I tried to use me camera I went into a spin.
I've found the best way to land is be parachute....once I reach 10 thousand feet, me arms 'ave become so floppy that all I can do is to pull the rip-cord.....
I'm also saving me pennies to get meself a jet-pack and a pair of skates.....

Ken Harrison said...

I tried to take some pics while flying, Nige....but me take-off off was a little dicey...had reached Wrawby with me arms going like the clappers before me feet left the ground....and everytime I tried to use me camera I went into a spin.
I've found the best way to land is be parachute....once I reach 10 thousand feet, me arms 'ave become so floppy that all I can do is to pull the rip-cord.....
I'm also saving me pennies to get meself a jet-pack and a pair of skates.....

Unknown said...

If only it had been a few years ago. But glad it's happened. Hope for lots of chances for juniors in Brigg. Good luck for all teams this year. Tony Stamp