Saturday, April 24, 2010

SCRUMPY ROW UPDATE

By Jim Copson, Ancholme Rowing Club

34 boats representing 10 different clubs will contest the Scrumpy Row tomrrow (Sunday). Ancholme Rowing Club has 5 entries - a Novice Eight, 2 Novice single sculls, a Mixed Novice quad and a Mixed Veteran double scull.
The race is held over a seven-mile course from the rowing club in Manley Gardens, Brigg, to the Brandy Wharf Cider Centre. Each boat is assigned a handicap according to the boat class and crew ability. This handicap is then subtracted from the actual time it takes the crew to row the course to produce the overall results.
The fastest crews are expected to complete the course in about 45 minutes. The top five crews receive medals presented by Ancholme Rowing Club together with jars of scrumpy cider presented by Rowdy and Catherine (proprietors of the Cider Centre).
The first boat leaves Brigg at 11:00 a.m. with the last boat to arrive at Brandy Wharf at 1:30 p.m.
The best place to view the race is along Cadney Road, with other vantage points at Cadney Bridge and Hibaldstow Bridge.

1 comment:

Ken Harrison said...

I've got me coracle, 'Pippin', ready. It's a bit Spartan, so I'll be taking a blanket

I'm setting out just after midnight and I should make good progress as long as I don't catch a Crab with me paddling.

Granny Smith said she'll drop me off some sarnies and a Bramley apple pie at Hibaldstow Bridge.

The whole event should be like a Gala and I'm sure the scrumpy will be Delicious.

I plan to arrive at about 1pm - I'm not going to Russet.