Wednesday, February 04, 2009

STRIKING BLOW FOR THE PRESS?

Depending on whether I get there on time or not, I might make a submission to Brigg Town Council tonight, challenging the proposed resolution to exclude the press and public from the discussions over possible funding for Brigg summer fair, which the District Lions are looking to organise in August.
It's public money we are talking about, and as far as I can see, anything the town council might agree to give, or underwrite, would be money well spent for the benefit of the town and its residents.
So it's difficult to appreciate why the debate has to be behind closed doors.
"Would the press mind not reporting this?" has always proved sufficient in my experience of 30-plus years, as long as the council explains why.
I think I need to refresh my memory of Section 100A of the Local Government Act 1972, allied to the Public Bodies (Admissions to Meetings) Act 1960.
If Coun Michael Doherty is at the meeting - a former Glanford Borough Council and North Lincolnshire Council solicitor - he will know them both chapter and verse.

No comments: