Saturday, October 11, 2008

CAN YOU HELP?

Brigg Blog readers with information about the Gurnell family are being asked to help with family history research in South Africa.
Janice Siebert has emailed to say: "I am helping a friend research his family history from South Africa. His grandfather was a George Edward Gurnell, who emigrated in 1911, son of John Henry. I have traced the family back to 1804 with the birth of the first George Gurnell (Stallingborough) through the archives on line and have been looking at links to Brigg and surrounding areas. I have found some Gurnell names mentioned in your Briggensian reports, a Neville Sowden Gurnell in 2000from Canada (left school 1939) and also George (1932-1938) and wonder if you would know if they are still around, noting their great age Neville’s e.mail address was returned unknown.
"I have also seen the website for the RAF with mention of Peter Gurnell and his death (his widow was a Pam or Pat) and see from the Telecom on-line phone numbers that there are three/four Gurnells in the area today but don’t know if they are of the same family.
John Simpson (his mother, a Gurnell, is now aged 93) would like to get in touch with any surviving Gurnells in the UK and if you are able to help we would be grateful.
If you can help, please email johnsiebert@worldonline.co.za
I have emailed already to say I recall George, well into his 80s, attending a Briggensians' Association dinner only a few years ago. He was then living in Sheffield, and I took his photo during a guided tour of the old grammar school buildings (now Sir John Nelthorpe Upper School). I have passed on email addresses for a couple of officials of the Briggensians' Association, Barbara Kernon and Dave Brittain, and recommended the website www.briggensians.net

1 comment:

Lourens said...

Good day John & Janice

I apologize for the delay in answering you now regarding your Request for help - Service records - John Morris Rudd.

This past two months I was very busy with a book research - The 2nd Edition of Victory at a Price. I am planning soon, maybe during this week to go to the archives. I will let you know when I were there and what information I could find.

Regards
LOURENS ETCHELL
BUFFALO RESEARCH
CELLPHONE: 072 895 6900
FAX: 086 604 5270