Monday, June 20, 2016

BRIGG BLOG PLANS EXPEDITION UP THE ANCHOLME TO DISCOVER WATERFALL


Brigg Blog's trip to South Kelsey last week ended with a very pleasant drive home through some rural parts of West Lindsey we seldom visit before heading home along the A15 from Caenby Corner.
We crossed the River Ancholme at Bishopbridge, which most people regard as the waterway's starting point on its journey north through Brigg to South Ferriby and the mighty Humber.
But that's a popular misconception. For the Ancholme starts some miles south of Bishopbridge  in the parish of West Firsby and trickles through Saxby (not the All Saints variety) and Toft Newton before it even reaches Bishopbridge.
As nature is supplying us with an abundant supply of the wet stuff, now seems an ideal time to go in search of the evocative Snitterby Waterfall - camera in hand.
It's more a weir than a waterfall, and might actually be in Atterby.
But a picture or two of this interestingly named feature on the River Ancholme is a 'must have' for Brigg Blog's growing archive.
Ken Harrison might beat us to it, of course!
The above picture, taken in October 2014, shows the Old River Ancholme near Cadney Road, Brigg.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Yep...I went over the waterfall in a tarred barrel, but I didn't have my camera with me!

Unknown said...

Yep...I went over the waterfall in a tarred barrel, but I didn't have my camera with me!

Unknown said...

Looks like I went over twice!!!

Unknown said...

Looks like I went over twice!!!

Ken Harrison said...

Don't know why my comments are being duplicated....I think Brigg Blog is to blame for plagiarism!!!
Didn't someone like Peter A. have a pic of the famous Snitterby Waterfall...some years ago.
Best seen from a boat if one can get through the throng of Japanese tourists all taking pictures.

Ken Harrison said...

Location..8 miles south of Brigg where the River Rase meets the Ancholme..
Watch out for the River Gremlins who fiercely defend the territory from interlopers. Best to bribe them with chocolates.