Tuesday, July 26, 2016

MR SPEAKER TO STAND IN BRIGG

Brigg Town Council has decided to stay with tradition after reviewing a feature of its debates in the Angel Suite.
This means that councillors invited to speak during council meetings by the Town Mayor will continue to stand when expressing their views.
Last night (Monday) the council reviewed some of its rules of debate, and Couns Carl and Nigel Sherwood backed a change of procedure to allow members to remain seated while speaking.
However, Coun Mike Campion thought this might make things more difficult for the Town Mayor chairing the meeting.
Coun Mike Storey described the acoustics in the Angel Suite as awful and thought it would be easier to hear what was being said if people stood up to speak.
Deputy Town Mayor Coun Sharon Riggall pointed out that medical reasons might make it difficult for the speaker to stand.

3 comments:

Ken Harrison said...

Perhaps the Council would consider the seating arrangements of the council meetings....at the moment, councillors sit in a square arrangement meaning that about quarter of councillors have their backs to the public


Ken Harrison said...

Methinks that they need to stand for Standing Orders...!
When I was at skool, a few years ago, I was sent to get a long stand from Mr Humphries, the music teacher...When I got to Mr H's class, I was told to wait...as time passed, I was waiting ages and ages....then Mr H said that he hadn't got one. It was a total waste of time and when I got back to Mr P, I explained wot had happened and he burst out laughing.

Ken Harrison said...

....and the next day, I was despatched by the physics teacher to get a big weight from Mr Perks the PE teacher. Same thing happened....missed afternoon break...and when I arrived back, the physics teacher found it hilarious..
I think I went to a materially impoverished skool with some psychologically disturbed teachers...My mate had the same idea and told me the skool was a standing joke.