Sunday, September 09, 2012

BRIGG PARKING CONCESSION NEEDS A SLIGHT TWEAK

I felt slightly uneasy about observing the "parking police" in the Angel Suite car park in Brigg late this morning while the all-day Wedding Fayre was going on inside the building.
It's a fair bet that I would have copped a fine for parking in a North Lincolnshire car park on a Sunday without displaying a valid ticket if I hadn't been fortunate enough to spot a uniformed official on patrol and gone over to check the message above the meter before locking my car and going inside for a look round.
For it never occurred to me that you need to get a free parking ticket and display it ON A SUNDAY - a day when you'd normally be hard pressed to find a couple of cars in the Angel car park at the same time.
Monday to Saturday inclusive, most of us can see the need to get a ticket from the meter. But why does this have to apply on Sundays and bank holidays when there are generally few visitors?
The free parking concession has been a great bonus for Brigg and won very wide plaudits for those running the council. But what some of us saw today in the Angel car park did not seem to be in line with the well-meaning intentions behind the free car parking scheme.
We would like to suggest they exempt Sundays and bank holidays forthwith.
If it's general policy to send someone out and about to check cars on Sundays, you wonder whether the income from penalties meets the staff costs.
If the scrutiny today was purely because a big event was going on and more motorists than normal would be parking, other questions spring to mind.
Some of those using the Angel car park today were not from the Brigg area. Hopefully, none of them incurred penalties for failing to read the sign above the meter in the car park and failing to obtain, and display, the necessary exemption ticket.



1 comment:

Ken Harrison said...

I was SWINDLED!!!
I was just parking my car to do my stint at a volunteer at the Heritage Centre when the 10 o'clock news' bleeps were sounding on the car's radio.
When I got my ticket, it printed a time of 9.58am - I was swindled, Scribs....I got less than 2 hours!!
Should we join forces and walk about the car-park with placards?