Wednesday, February 02, 2011

HELP SOUGHT IN NEW YORK

From Janis in New York

My sister and I attended St. Hybald's School, Brigg, from 1959 to 1961. I believe three sisters, the Misses Kensington, ran the school. Do you know what happened to them and to the school?

NF adds: Please post your information as a comment here for Janis to collect. In case of technical difficulties, email scoopfisher@aol.com and we will forward it on to her. My memory suggests the Misses Kennington, rather than Kensington, lived in a large Georgian house adjacent to the Nelthorpe Arms, in Bridge Street.



DID YOU KNOW YOU CAN NOW READ MORE INTERESTING NEWS ABOUT BRIGG AND DISTRICT BY VISITING AN EXCITING NEW WEBSITE?

brigg people

“YOURS TRULY” IS THE COMMUNITY PUBLISHER. YOU CAN REGISTER WITH THE SITE AND THEN UPLOAD YOUR OWN NEWS, SPORT AND VIEWS.

5 comments:

Ken Harrison said...

Janis.....St Hybalds ....are you referring to the church school in Scawby, next to St Hybalds church?

A few miles further down the road is a village called Hibaldstow, which also has a school.

Both village churches are called St Hybalds.

Suggest you Wikipedia 'Scawby' and 'Hibaldstow'

I'm certain some folks will be able to assist once the school is identified.

Ken Harrison said...

....or was this the name of the private school in Bridge St....next to the Nelthorpe Arms

Ken Harrison said...

Sorry - ignore previous......I hadn't properly read Nige's ps.

Ken Harrison said...

Sorry - ignore previous......I hadn't properly read Nige's ps.

Unknown said...

I went to St Hybald's school from 1957 to 1959, our paths must have crossed. I believe that my brother Michael and I, Geoffrey were the last boys to attend there. We were forever in trouble for fighting local boys on the bus home to Ashby and our distinctive grey and yellow uniform brought disgrace on the school. When we left, it became a girls' school.
My father decided that we were no longer benefiting from private education and would do just as well at the local state school. I certainly benefited and went to the local Grammar School. My brother struggled, he was a late starter, but excelled later on in engineering, becoming Chief Engineer for a top newspaper in London.
You are right about the Kennington sisters. They carried on for some time, but old age simply took over. You are also right about the location, a lovely Georgian house just over the bridge, next to the Nelthorpe Arms. There was a butcher's shop the other side, I think it was called Barnard's.