Sunday, June 22, 2008

PLATE RECOGNITION


Just followed a van down Barnard Avenue with Smith-Parkinson numberplates and a Smith-Parkinson sticker in the back window.
As the years mount since the firm closed its premises in the Market Place, such a sight will become rarer and rarer.
I never bought a car from their showrooms, not being a lover of Fords, but did use their servicing department a lot and always found them very helpful and courteous.
Now, of course, the old 'Smith Parky' building, famous for its metal roof, has been done up in style by Grimley Smith Associates.
When they come to dish out best building awards, this one must be a front-runner.

1 comment:

Peter said...

...many years later I've come across Nigel Fisher's Brigg Blog in searching for Smith-Parkinson (Motors) Ltd. The reason for my internet search is that I have recently bought a Daimler 250 that I'm guessing by old MOT certificates might have been owned by that garage. I'm basing this upon the records showing the car barely moved between 1988 and August 2000 (just 580 miles), and between May 1993 and August 1996 she only travelled 3 miles. The car was originally silver but is now painted black. The car's carpets are red and the leather seats in their ox-blood-red are still in good shape. I wonder if anybody remembers the car, perhaps has a photo or two, and/or can tell me about the owner. I have no older paperwork than 1988. The car's registration is NFW 842F. The MOT inspector was Mr P.Gash. Thank you for helping me fill in a little of this beautiful car's history. Btw, she still with less than 90,000 miles on the clock and is running very well. Peter Bird - BfgHere@gmail.com